Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Body Makeover - Jim85Iroc

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2000, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Makeover - Jim85Iroc

Hey, I am thinking about a total body makeover for my car. Breakdown - It is a 1989 Camaro RS Red w/ T-Tops. It is an 11 year old car, and really starting to show it. There is a small amount of rust bubbling under each wheelwell and a patch of rust about the size of a quarter on one of my front quarter pannels. Also, the rear spoiler needs replacing (as it is smashed), there are two dents in the passenger side(one about the size of a vollyball in the rear quarter pannel and one the size of a softball in the door, thanks to DAVE'S GARAGE!!!), also, the moldings on that side are all messed up. The front bumper cover is cracked to hell(last owner hit a pole) and finally my front GFX need total replacement. The side ones (hopefully) can just be sanded down. Then, I want to go w/ the "SS" Style hood from ASCD and a fresh high gloss paint job (black w/ white racing stripes) So, tell me what you think, any comments, suggestions, approximate prices etc. Remember, I am going to a body shop (that I trust) and having them strip the paint to bare metal, replacing the spoiler, replacing the front GFX, replacing the Front Bumper Cover, Fixing those side dents/molding, Fix the side GFX, Sand out all rust and either re-metalize or patch w/ fiberglass, and a complete repaint (base-coat/clear-coat) Thanks for your suggestions/comments/questions/constructive criticisms!
Old 11-19-2000, 10:22 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I'm not going to make an attempt to say how much it is going to cost, because it sounds like you're going to need enough work done that labor is going to be a major factor in the cost. Don't be surprised to see quotes at or above $2500 if you're looking for a real good paint job. I wouldn't suggest having it completely stripped to bare metal. There is no advantage to it, and paint will adhere to the old paint better than it will to the metal. If any of the rust is bad enough to warrant new panels, make sure they weld in new panels and don't just grind and fill the rust. Generally as long as the rust isn't all the way through the metal, you can just sandblast and fill. But if you're getting pin holes or big chunks of rust flaking off, you should have new panels welded in. Another thing to consider is whether it's actually worth it. Quite often, if the body is in that kind of shape, the undercarrage and unibody may not be too keen either. If that's the case, you should evaluate whether it's really worth it or if you should put the money toward a better car. If the underside is in good shape, it's probably worth it to paint the car if you're planning on having it for a long time.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 11-19-2000, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
while your waiting to get it painted, stop that rust! clean it with a wire brush and spray some "zero rust" on it($5.00 at a parts store) it works really good.usually it dries black so it is inconspicuous.try the dents with a toilet plunger(yes, **** rings look better than dents)
just a suggestion: when you get red w/ white stripes,keep the original color or similar darker red, I knew a kid with an '89 IROC that painted it a lighter bright red,omit decals,white racing stripes he totally took the manhood out of that car,it looked like a F*kIng candy cane.he just went for the wrong color red,it would've looked tight if it was redone stock color w/stripes.
Old 11-19-2000, 11:41 AM

scrap the old car, sell it or part it out. Since IROC-z's average about 5,000 www.kellybluebook.com Your best way to save cash would be replacing your car with one in better shape.

------------------
3.8 turbo 20th anniversary transam #497 first owed by Clifford Williams, Bass player from rock band AC/DC
Old 11-19-2000, 01:07 PM

I guess I need to re-post my intentions. I dindn't say that I wanted to junk my car for a new one, but thank's anyways. I don't care about the money, I am willing to stick around five grand into it , just for the exterior. This is my first car, and it just has some sentimental value to me. Not to mention, the frame and underbody are in very good condition, as it has never seen a winter!! This car doesn't know what snow looks like!! Thanks for the idea of stoping the rust though, I will probably do that soon, as it is only the size of a quarter, and surface rust at that, and a little under each wheel well, but still annoys the hell out of me. Not to mention what that little could turn into, if left un-treated. Jim85Iroc - The reason I want to have it stripped to bare metal is because I am changing the paint color. I am going from the factory red, to black w/ white racing stripes. And who here can tell me, that a 1989 Camaro w/ t-tops, a high gloss black w/ white racing stripes paint job, matching white grille, calipers and drums, an SS style hood and chrome torq-thrust II Rims wrapped in Pirelli rubber wouldn't be killer!! Not to mention rice-eating!!!
Old 11-19-2000, 07:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Changing the color does not require stripping to bare metal. New urethane paints cover well enough to be totally impervious to the color below, but any good painter will use a coat or 2 of sealer on the whole car anyway. Just a note, if you're planning on changing the color, it isn't going to look right unless inside the doors, hatch and engine compartment are done as well. Expect to pay big bucks for that.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah