Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Undercoatings

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercoatings

The underside of my Camaro looks pretty bad, does anybody know of any good undercoatings to put on that will give it a nice black finish and protect the metal as well?

Also, is corrosion a problem with the floor pans of our cars? My car is an 89 and I'm worried that the floor plans might start disappearing. If they do, are they easy to replace?

Jason
Old 02-13-2001, 01:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Replacing floor pans is not easy. You need to cut those out and weld the new ones in. First, let's determine what's wrong with yours. Are they rusty and full of rust that's flaking off, or are you just worried because they are not painted? Once a car has seen some winters and the floor pans have begun to rust, undercoating them is not going to help much. In many cases, undercoating rusty panels can trap salt and moisture in there and make matters worse. If the car doesn't see winters, then there's really no need to undercoat either. Without winters, the most the floor pans are likely to ever see is a little bit of surface rust and will take forever to become a problem. My IROC sat in the mud for 2 years, but because it had no winters, the underneath looks great. The floor pans are perfect and still white/gray from the original sealer, with a little red overspray just like the day it rolled off the assembly line. However, the same car has some rust on the bottom side of the radiator tray. This is a very common location for rot. My IROC has a little, my GTA has it, my 86 has it, my 86 firebird had it, and even my friend's 2,000 mile 99 SS with no winters is already showing rust under the bubbling paint. For some reason, this spot is notorious for rust.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 02-13-2001, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 25th Anniversary Z28
Engine: 6.3L - 383
Transmission: 700R4; Vig 3200
That 3M rubberized stuff won't last on the floorpans. Everytime I would go under my baby to change the oil etc. the little patches of rust on the floorpans would really bother me....so now that she's up on jacks for all the upgrades I'm sanding the paint off the undercarriage and coating everything with POR15 so I will NEVER have to worry about rust underneath there EVER!!!! Go ahead and check it out if you haven't already heard of it www.por15.com It may be a decent sized job, but in my eyes it will be all worth it to me and give me piece of mind. Email me if ya have any questions about it......

------------------
1992 25th Heritage Z28 Red/Black - L98 350
- Flowmaster 3" cat-back, Random Tech cats, SLP runners/headers etc, Bosch 36lb inj/4+ plugs, MSD 6A/billet dist/8.5 wires/Blaster coil, TPIS 52mm TB, Stewart polished pump, ported intake.
- Stereo: Panasonic/Audio Control/ADS/Alpine

Currently In the Works:
Hotchkis LCA/panhard rod, Baer 13"/12" upgrade, SLP 17" chrome SS rims w/GY F1's, 4th Gen 3:73 HD Zexel/Torsen, Moser Rear End, Spohn Torque Arm/LCA RLC brackets, all MOOG front pieces, Hellwig solid fr/r bars. etc.........
'99 Corvette front seats, Autometer Gauge pod....