Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Braindead rear hatch...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2001, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braindead rear hatch...

Yeah, I searched the older posts...seems like everything else with my cars it's bass ackwards from everyone else's problems. My rear hatch motor works, but the release won't release. Neither with the key or the push button will do anything. Anyone got any ideas?

Aloha,
Hawaii 5.0
Old 05-27-2001, 02:18 AM
Supreme Member

Its been awhile since I last replaced my pull down motor, but as I recall there are two separate parts; the motor/pulldown, and the latch release. There is also a cable. You should probably remove the assembly and check it out or replace it, but if you can't get the rear hatch open then it is going to be pretty hard to do. You may end up having to replace the rear plastic cover if you can't get the top screws out and end up bending it up and damaging it getting to the motor assembly. Don't know if this helps you or not, or if it isn't what you wanted to hear, but I wish you luck. Maybe someone else here has a better idea? The hatch not releasing when totally closed has always been one of the things I have always dreaded about our cars.

------------------
'86 Camaro Sport Coupe
Old 05-27-2001, 03:16 AM

I had a similar problem a while ago. Here's waht I did
Take off the back plastic cover to expose the hatch motor. If it's closed, there's a rectangular hole just to the drivers side of center, put in a screwdriver and turn to release the hatch.
Next, take off the bolt that holds the solenoid and take off the solenoid.
Latch the mechanisim using a screwdriver instead of the hatch itself, then press the lever on the latch that unlocks it
Make sure the action of the release solenoid/cable is correct to unlatch the hatch (i.e. if you have to push the release lever down, make sure the solenoid/cable goes down when you turn the key)
If it doesn't, take the plastic part off the lock tumbler and rotate the rectangular hole in the plastic 180º and put it back on the tumbler and try the key again, the action should be correct.
Put the solenoid back on, "latch" it again and try the key, then "latch" it again and try the release switch on the console.
Hopefully it works for you.
Good Luck
--Richie