Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

My 91

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 c.i. T.B.I.
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: stock open 2.72
My 91

Hello all, I haven't been on this forum for a while now. A couple years ago I blew the engine in my 91 RS, It was a 305 tbi car. I am about to start the build process in the next few days. I am going to completely gut the car down to the bare body, get it straight, paint and reassemble the body. I want to paint it flat black, but not some hacked up rattle can job. I will be getting the Hot Rod Black from summit, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up312/overview/. The car has a fiberglass 4" cowl hood that I plan to reuse, or at least replace with a steel 4'' cowl if I cant save the one I have. I would like to find louvers for the rear hatch, I plan on blacking out the tail lights, and tinting the windows. along the side of the cowl there will be a red stripe, and the Camaro lettering on the rear bumper will also be red. I will be welding in sub frame connectors, not sure which ones yet but the will be weld ins. This is a T-top car that I would like to turn into a targa top, if I can figure out how, there will be no back seats so I will be reinforcing the body there, I am thinking about rhino lining the floor underneath the carpet or instead, I just did the lining on my jeep, and like outcome, not sure about it in the Camaro though. I will be rebuilding the 700r4 with the B&M rebuild kit, not sure on the converter yet. I will be looking for either a 350 or a 400 small block to build. and a stock posi rear end with disc brakes, to also build. That I plan on welding the tubes to the housing and adding some gussets, re-gearing to a ratio of my choosing. The interior will be going black, with bucket seats, and a decent stereo system. I build boxes all the time so making one to fit this car isn't going to be a problem. the exhaust I would like to run true duals, but not sure if I could make it work to my standard. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, This was my first car and I plan on building it the way I choose. I will be taking my time with this, it could be done by the end of the summer, it could be next spring I plan on enjoying the build and making on bad *** toy in the mean time
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23
Re: My 91

Glad you don't live around me LOL! I'm doing the same paint on my 92 RS and might run a cowl hood if I find a good deal on one, but I only want like a 2" cowl. BTW my buddy has that paint on his 95 BMW M3 clone and it looks killer! They did 2 costs and it's holding up well even in some winter weather. There were some puck marks at first and after a few days it leveled out nice. Good luck with the build.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2007xl50
Glad you don't live around me LOL! I'm doing the same paint on my 92 RS and might run a cowl hood if I find a good deal on one, but I only want like a 2" cowl. BTW my buddy has that paint on his 95 BMW M3 clone and it looks killer! They did 2 costs and it's holding up well even in some winter weather. There were some puck marks at first and after a few days it leveled out nice. Good luck with the build.
Thanks, I am not quite sure how much paint I will actually need to buy, do you think a gallon will be enough, I plan on doing the door jams, engine compartment, and interior as well
Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23

Originally Posted by 91project
Thanks, I am not quite sure how much paint I will actually need to buy, do you think a gallon will be enough, I plan on doing the door jams, engine compartment, and interior as well
See I'm going to leave the jams, under the hood and inside the hatch gloss black so if I ever want to go back to gloss black or sell the car to someone that does it's an easy job, the stain will make a nice base for gloss later on.

My buddy got the gallon kit for the BMW, but did not do the jams, under the hood or in the trunk and there is alot left after 2 coats, Our buddy that painted the car is going to paint his golf cart with the rest and might still have some left over. I think a gallon kit will be fine. See i live 20 mins from summit so if I run out I can just run and get more, but I think you will be fine with a gallon kit. I can tell you that the paint does not look like primer,it does have a slight sheen to it even when dirty, but still has that kinda fuzzy feeling when you touch it if you know what I mean?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 PM

yeah that makes sense, I might buy an extra quart to go with it just for good measure
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Okay I am about to start pulling apart the Camaro today, my goals are to clean out the car, remove front bumper and fenders, and possibly remove what's there of the interior (front seats, carpet, dash) I will be reusing the carpet if possible
Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 PM

Last week didn't quite go as planned, instead of pulling the body apart I gutted the interior, Pics will come soon. next up is the body, bumpers, fenders and side skirts. and once that gets done I will be pulling the engine and trans.