Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

rebuilding a wrecked 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open
rebuilding a wrecked 3rd gen

im no body man .so im trying to determine the best way forward. i wrecked my 86 and the damage seems to be generally the core support and the drivers side "apron " . the frame extensions where the "bumper " bolts as well . can one just cut off the bent and weld on replacements from a donor car ? if not , how is the best way to approach this repair ?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi
Re: rebuilding a wrecked 3rd gen

That's exactly what I did to fix my Camaro after I bought it. If you look at my profile pic, you can see how the car looked when I hauled it home. Removed the core support, and cut off the driver's side frame rail just in front of the spring pocket to get rid of the bent metal. I cut the donor piece to match and welded it up after a lot of careful measuring to make sure it was straight. If you have to cut the frame rails, use a "Z" cut or at least on a steep diagonal to spread the welded area out. It makes for a stronger repair. I used a diagonal cut and left a few extra inches on the donor rail so I could slip it inside the rail in the car to help line it all up. This also let me drill some holes around the part of the rail that was still on the car and add some plug welds for added strength.

If you can post some pics of the damage, you'll get better advice.

Edit: forgot to mention, this was my first time taking on anything more than basic rust repair as far as body work goes. I also had never welded before, but I spent several months practicing on scrap pieces from the replacement parts and my Camaro before trying to weld in the donor pieces. It's doable, just do your research, ask questions, and if you've never welded before, practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by 92RS_Ttop; 08-01-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Rs.R
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: rebuilding a wrecked 3rd gen

I did this as well. When I did it I drilled every spot weld in the left apron and the core support... Went to the junk yard and found a good front clip. Took the entire front clip and also drilled the spot welds and replaced the front end piece by piece. I just used Amal tack welds at first and then used a hydro ram to tweak and twist.. The front end until it was dead on perfect... Then I rosset welded every spot weld and added some welds here and ther in inconspicuous places