Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Windshield Rust Repair Suggestions

Old 03-19-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1988 A4U (#99 SONY/Protec)
Engine: 5.0 V8 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Windshield Rust Repair Suggestions

Hi, Have searched but haven't found my problem exactly. If there's a post that answers it please redirect me. Removed the windshield in my hardtop to find ALOT of rust. I wire wheeled it out and there's a couple minor holes. I was thinking of POR15, PF211 (Seam sealer) and then painting prior to sealing and installing windshield. Anyone tried this method? Any better suggestions? Lots of t-top solutions but haven't found any hardtop specific posts. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield Rust Repair Suggestions-img_3183.jpg   Windshield Rust Repair Suggestions-img_3184.jpg  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Windshield Rust Repair Suggestions

I would probably give that windshield channel a sandblasting to make sure you get all the rust. You did a good job with the wire wheel though. It cleaned up pretty nice! The optimal approach would be to blast it and then cut out and weld in new metal where it is damaged or thin. If that isn't an option than your method will likely work but I'd still try to sand blast that area to get all the rust.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1988 A4U (#99 SONY/Protec)
Engine: 5.0 V8 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: Windshield Rust Repair Suggestions

Thanks for the reply Rancid87. I'm really hoping not to have to replace the windshield frame since I have enough to do on the floor. I will steal your sandblast idea though and work on getting more rust out and see what i'm left with...

Search this Thread