Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Convertible trunk only releases sometimes with the key

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Convertible trunk only releases sometimes with the key

So, I repaired the latch pull down. I then adjusted the trunk latch "pin" really a loop on the trunk lid to line up.

At first it got stuck and I had to release the trunk by removing the four bolts holding the pin plate to the trunk lid.

I then played a bit with shimming the latch pin so that the pull down would pull it down so tight.

It worked great and I thought I had solved it and for about 2 hours and I used it several times, then it happened again the key won't open it no matter what I do unless I completely unload the pin (remove it from the trunk lid) and the the key will release it.

Do I need a new latch?

Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Re: Convertible trunk only releases sometimes with the key

Don't adjust the hatch hook (loop above that latches in the pull-down unit), you adjust the entire pull-down unit up/down or side-to-side by loosening the three 13mm bolts. You should mark the location of the frame using a scratch awl or permanent marker. Then adjust the unit side-to-side so the hatch hook is centered on the latch. Next adjust the unit up or down until the pull-down unit just seals the hatch seal. You must hear a CLICK when the pull-down unit reaches the end of the down cycle. That is the reversing switch tripping to shut off power. If you don't hear the CLICK then the unit is stalled and will burn the motor up. Get it adjusted right and it should work correctly. You didn't mention how the hatch aligns to the side when closed. The hatch struts tend to push the hatch towards the rear of the car over time. This will need to be corrected or eventually the rounded portion of the hatch hook will be trying to latch in the pull-down instead of the straight portion. There is a Tech Article that was written years ago on adjusting the hatch alignment.

Lon Salgren
Old 03-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks Lon!!! I have hope.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Lon, You are my hero. Not to get ahead of myself, but yesterday I filed out the bolt holes and move the latch loop further forward. Now the trunk pops open with a turn of the key (it didn't do that before, I had to lift) and when it closes there is a clear click at the end. Hopefully this will be it.

P.S. I did notice that the rear nose of the latch loop was worn as if it had been hitting something because it was too far rearward.