Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Water trapped in door...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea
Water trapped in door...

so I went out to break on lunch to have a cigarette and I open up my passenger door. when I close it I hear water swooshing around. so I open the door and start jerking it back and forth and I hear the water again. are there any drain holes in the doors? if not I guess i'll drill some holes into it. I checked drivers side but its fine. I'm guessing it has to do with my bad weatherstrip.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Water trapped in door...

There are definitely at least a couple of weep holes at the bottom of the door near the inside lip. Sometimes they can get plugged with debris which is one of the things that causes doors to get rusted out.

Originally Posted by Cheerio
so I went out to break on lunch to have a cigarette and I open up my passenger door. when I close it I hear water swooshing around. so I open the door and start jerking it back and forth and I hear the water again. are there any drain holes in the doors? if not I guess i'll drill some holes into it. I checked drivers side but its fine. I'm guessing it has to do with my bad weatherstrip.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:57 AM

Yeah I just went out with a flashlight and removed 3 rubber boots. Had like 3 gallons of water in it.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Whoa that's a lot! Did any of your internal electrical parts in the door get damaged?

Yeah I just went out with a flashlight and removed 3 rubber boots. Had like 3 gallons of water in it.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:09 AM

No fortunately(?) I have manual doors. I did notice that my door panels are torn from the plastic up top. Possible water damage. I think I heard that water some weeks ago, but I though it was just low fuel. I haven't used a passenger door in ages.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

YEP, happened to me also. I don't know the extent of the damage yet.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

If you look around, there are about three LARGE drains in each door, plus a smaller drain hole at the back corner. Might also be a smaller drain in the front corner. The rubber plugs block off most of the larger drains, but leave enough open for water to run through.

There are also drains in both lower 1/4 panels behind the wheels, and again in front of the wheels at the rear of the rockers. There is another pair of drains at the front of the rockers along the pinch welds. All of them tend to get blocked with mud, leaves, bugs, rust, etc. It's probably a good idea to search for all the drains, and make sure they;re free to drain. Might even go as far as running a pipe cleaner type nylon brush thru them to scrub out obstructions - because you don't want that moisture to get trapped and rust out a new drain.

In the case of the doors, the dew wipe strips should keep a lot of water out. The plastic sheet moisture guards between the door panels and the door shell keep any water than runs inside the door from damaging the door panel. If you look, the guards are glued with deep V patterns near the bottom that direct moisture to the drains.