Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Advice for first ever car purchse? 86' Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for first ever car purchse? 86' Firebird

Hey everyone, It's Chris! Remember that 1986 Firebird my cousin has that I wanted to put the T56 and 350 in? Well he just called the other day and it's for sale! What are the main problem areas that I should check? The whole car mechanically is going to be ultimately fixed or replaced but I am super concerned about main brackets, supports, and other rust/deterioration issues that are not worth fixing. It's a factory hard top with a 305 and factory T5. No pictures yet as of now but should have them either Saturday or Sunday when I actually inspect the car and finally drive it for the 1st time. Right now I have a reliable vehicle but I always wanted to redo this car for my family and more importantly myself. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by Queature; 10-03-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Hot 355ci
Transmission: Beefed TH350
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Re: Advice for first ever car purchse? 86' Firebird

For rust and or rot: Rockers, fender mount under car, under a/c / heater box under the hood. Mine has hole in wheel well going into passenger floor. Rear wheel well area. Check shock towers underneath in wheel well. Where spare tire and jack is, mine rotted there due to leaky hatch. Anywhere where there is a seal, check it. All easy to fix and a learning experience.