Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Body panel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Body panel alignment

So I'm making some LONG needed repairs, including re-aligning some "good" but not "great" body panels up front. From the back, all the way up to the doors, it's dead nuts straight and level. Like, to the sixteenth of an inch. Kinda surprised me actually.

Both fenders have been jacked on that famous "do not jack here" spot behind the front wheel, and it was in a front end collision YEARS ago. I'm not 100% sure where the misalignment all starts from, but once the fenders are realigned, obviously the hood won't be right and same with the front bumper cover.

I know HOW to remove these parts, but what's the process/logic in getting 'em straight? Where do I start? Fenders presumably, as they're kinda the first building block of the front end! I figure if they're straight and level at the door seam, that's a good start...then align as I move forward, bumper cover, then hood?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Re: Body panel alignment

That's the correct process. Get the fenders lined up with the door, then get the nose adjusted to fit correctly with the fenders, then align the hood as the last step.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:20 AM

Thanks Scott. That's sorta what I figured.

I'm gonna do my best to repair that fender attachment spot behind the front wheel, but I think I may attach that bolt last. If need be i'll make a new bracket or something. It's luxury of it NOT being factory original. Just make it work!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

To get the bow out of my fenders, I needed to loosen the lower bolt on the damaged flange, install a large flat head screw driver between the flange and the body to pull the fender down, and then I tightened the bolt, with the pressure on the flange. I also had my son apply light pressure to the body line, while I was prying it down. Perfect alignment now, but if i loosen that bolt, I'm sure it'll be a mess again.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:04 PM

The good news is that both of the fenders appear to be off in the same direction that mounting tab is bent, suggesting that if I can fix the tab, the fender should correct itself quite a bit. I'm sure some tweaking will still be needed, but I'm hoping that'll be the most involved "fix". Hopefully the rest will just be adjustments.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:37 PM

Update:

So the Passenger side was pretty easy. A pair of vice-grips on the pinch weld/fender tap, in 3 places, moving about 20* degrees at a time and it pulled the fender just about back into place. Gotta tweak the top fender alignment a hair, but overall it came back.

Driver side however.....not so fortunate. That pinch weld was pushed SO far in, it actually sits parallel to the ground! ....and there's a little rust. Bust worst of all, the subframe connector was welded in place, right on top of the pinch weld! -so there's no bending it back. ..and this car ain't original enough (by a long shot) to cut off the SFC. Good news is there appears to be good spots to grind and weld, so I'm gonna just tack on some new mounting tabs. Homemade hotrodding at it's finest. Just don't tell anyone I'm doing it.