Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Where to get rocker panels for 86 SC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 305 V8 LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Where to get rocker panels for 86 SC?

Hello,

I have an 86 SC that has a lot of rust. so I can't get a sticker. (I'm in Massachusetts). Specifically, my rocker panels need to be replaced. (Among many other parts, but this is priority #1)

I have a local autobody guy willing to do this project (not many will), but he said he can't find rocker panels through any of his usual sources. He's at the point where he's asking some contacts to check for availability from junkyards in AZ and CA.

Anyone have any advice for how/where I can find these?

Thanks in advance,
John
Old 02-17-2024, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: T5
Re: Where to get rocker panels for 86 SC?

Try "All American Classics" in Vancouver, Washington. They have a large number of thirdgens. That is where I got my firewall and floor pan donor metal and are my go to for thirdgen parts. They are the only ones that I have found that have cars in the northwest to California. I do have the advantage that they are an hour drive away so I don't incur shipping. They will cut them out of the donor car and ship them to you. You can call them and they will I believe quote you over the phone. I have found their prices reasonable but I don't know how their shipping costs run.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 305 V8 LG4
Transmission: 700R4

Thanks, I will check them out! Since they are in the north, is there any issue with rust on the donor car parts?

EDIT: I looked online and they have a great selection of cars, so this looks very promising. My only concern is they are in northern CA, so I don't know what the climate is there. Like I assume AZ would have more rust free junk yards.

Last edited by johnblacksox; 02-17-2024 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: T5

Originally Posted by johnblacksox
Thanks, I will check them out! Since they are in the north, is there any issue with rust on the donor car parts?

EDIT: I looked online and they have a great selection of cars, so this looks very promising. My only concern is they are in northern CA, so I don't know what the climate is there. Like I assume AZ would have more rust free junk yards.
Just let them know what you need. I have been able to get rust free or just surface rust donor panels. They will choose based on what you describe.