Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

handbrake cable ripped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS (Black, T-top)
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 5-speed
handbrake cable ripped?

I was parking my car, and my friend made fun of the way my hand brake is so hard to pull up. I tell him, that its better than it not working at all (like my jeep).

Right after saying that and getting out of the car, (he's still sitting there). I hear a big clanking sound. Then I see my friend pulling up the handbrake handle, it moved easily now. But one problem. Hand brake doesn't work anymore. It feels like the cable ripped, it will move freely now.
After that I went around the block, and noticed a noise, that sounded like something was loose, sounded like a tin can being dragged behind the car. I looked under the car, and saw nothing loose. Could this be because of the brake cable? How hard is it to replace the cable if thats the problem? I gotta fix it quick. sucks not having a e-brake in a manual car.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:44 PM

Car: 1992 Jade Green---Trans Am Converti
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Probably broke where it meets the two cables going back to the rear. The end of the cable and bracket is probably hanging down hitting the driveshaft/torque arm. You wouldn't be able to see it just looking under there. I wouldn't drive around too much until you can jack it up and look in the tunnel.

Kevin D.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by shr00m
Probably broke where it meets the two cables going back to the rear. The end of the cable and bracket is probably hanging down hitting the driveshaft/torque arm. You wouldn't be able to see it just looking under there. I wouldn't drive around too much until you can jack it up and look in the tunnel.

Kevin D.
Yeah. It sounds like it, but I couldn't see anything looking under the car yesterday, but it was night time, so I'm gonna jack it up and check it out today. If it did break that way, what will I need to replace? Will autozone or pep boys have this, or do I need to order it from the dealer? thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Car: 1992 Jade Green---Trans Am Converti
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
If it broke on the line going from the handle to the t-bracket, you might be better off finding a used one (possibly handle and everything). The amount of time needed to track down the right length cable might be extreme.

Hopefully it's just one of the rear lines as they tend to get pinched and rust through. That could cause it not to work as there's no opposite tension on the good cable. And perhaps the remains of the other cable is what's hitting. Rear lines are about $15 at almost any parts store (usually special order).

Kevin D.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:12 PM

Thanks a lot bro.