Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Parking brake light on during hard braking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW
Parking brake light on during hard braking?

Yea. I was driving and some jerk pulled in front of me at 35 miles an hour in a 65, and I jammed on my brakes, and noticed that an additional light was on on my dash. My parking brake light was illuminated. I tried barely engaging it, and putting it back off, but that didn't do anything. I eventually jammed on my brakes a few times and it turned back off. This happened again later in my trip, but it didn't stick on. I just hit the brakes hard and the light came on, but I couldn't get it to do it again. Anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:22 PM

Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5 5 Spd
Axle/Gears: Built 10bolt w/3.73s
That is the Brake warning light. As you already know It comes on with an engaged parking brake, but it also comes on with an imbalance of pressure betwen the front and rear lines to let you know you have a leak or air in the lines. You might try bleeding your brakes.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by trumps2000
That is the Brake warning light. As you already know It comes on with an engaged parking brake, but it also comes on with an imbalance of pressure betwen the front and rear lines to let you know you have a leak or air in the lines. You might try bleeding your brakes.

can also indicate low brake fluid, could be the case since you saw it while the car was bowed up trying to stop and sloshing all the fluid in the resevior to the front.

Adam
Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Re: Parking brake light on during hard braking?

Originally Posted by TheScaryOne
Yea. I was driving and some jerk pulled in front of me at 35 miles an hour in a 65, and I jammed on my brakes, and noticed that an additional light was on on my dash. My parking brake light was illuminated. I tried barely engaging it, and putting it back off, but that didn't do anything. I eventually jammed on my brakes a few times and it turned back off. This happened again later in my trip, but it didn't stick on. I just hit the brakes hard and the light came on, but I couldn't get it to do it again. Anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same issue and suspect its just the e-brake handle grounding during hard braking.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

If I remember the original service manual on this, a constant light on with the parking brake off is to indicate Brake problems... fluid , pads, leak and etc.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Car: 1991 T/A GTA H/T
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

last time this happened to me it was in a grand caravan and it ended up being the fluid level . pretty much exactly what smoke diver said
Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by TheScaryOne
This happened again later in my trip, but it didn't stick on. I just hit the brakes hard and the light came on, but I couldn't get it to do it again. Anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.
Yeah but look what ScaryOne is sayings. Its not coming on and staying on. Its blinking with heavy braking and going away once brake pressure decreases.

That is the condition I'm talking about. Not the light coming on and staying on, that one is easy to figure out. If I jab the brakes hard the light will flicker. Its on for no more than 1/2 second. I suspect its the e-brake handle moving. For instance, with the car stopped and the e-brake engaged, I can get the brake light to come on just by putting light pressure on the e-brake handle, like I'm trying to push it towards the drivers door. That example is just to show you how touchy my e-brake handle is.

I'm going to unplug the pressure differential valve and do some more tests. If it still lights up, it must be caused by the e-brake handle.