Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

E-brake cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Fomula, bought new, October 86
Engine: 305 Quadrajet,
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9bolt now in, starting on body work
E-brake cable

I have been trying to find the cable assembly that goes from the brake handle back to the plate that hooks up the left and right cables that go to the rear brakes. I have found the two cables for the rear at O'Reillys but no one seems to know about the one hooked to the handle.
Also, it is not clear to me in the 87 Firebird shop manual on page 5-18 if the drum brake and the disc brake cables are different parts or are routed differently.
And finally, I have swapped out the factory 2.73 drum brake open rearend for 9 bolt disc brake rear that has factory calipers and rotors but now I believe that having more stopping power will mean an upgrade to a better brakes and so, will the stock cables work with aftermarket brake components or more high performance factory swap ins?
Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails E-brake cable-img018-2-.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: E-brake cable

Originally Posted by sgtmac
I have been trying to find the cable assembly that goes from the brake handle back to the plate that hooks up the left and right cables that go to the rear brakes. I have found the two cables for the rear at O'Reillys but no one seems to know about the one hooked to the handle.

Also, it is not clear to me in the 87 Firebird shop manual on page 5-18 if the drum brake and the disc brake cables are different parts or are routed differently.

And finally, I have swapped out the factory 2.73 drum brake open rearend for 9 bolt disc brake rear that has factory calipers and rotors but now I believe that having more stopping power will mean an upgrade to a better brakes and so, will the stock cables work with aftermarket brake components or more high performance factory swap ins?
Your might try RockAuto.

Drum and disc brake cables are different.

The cables you purchase for the iron Delco-Moraines won't fit other upgrades, such as the 1LE.

BTW, don't forget to consider the combination valve and speedo gears for a proper installation. The 9- and 10-bolt braking systems are the same, so for more info you could check the 10-Bolt FAQ sticky.

JamesC