Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

New Brakes constantly squealing

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: Built TH350 with 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 4th gen, 4.10
New Brakes constantly squealing

I just completed by 92 Camaro restoration and when I took it for a ride the brakes wouldn't stop squealing, even when I wasn't hitting them. The brakes are brand new LS1 rotors and pads. I have an LS1 rear end and LS1 conversion kit up front. The pedal feels a bit spongy so its possible I have some more bleeding to do but I doubt air in the line would cause them to stay slightly engaged. Seems like they are way too tight and wont disengage.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this?

thanks
Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: New Brakes constantly squealing

Not a constant problem in it , but sounds similar to this thread. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brak...rn-causes.html
Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

Did you bed them in properly? A lot of people forget to do this when they install new pads and/or rotors.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with brakes if your caliper is really rusty or the caliper bracket is really rusty and you put in new hardware it can bind the pads to the rotor surface. its also possible to have a sticky piston in the caliper.

a good way to tell which is having issues is drive it around the block and check rotor temps if one feels a lot hotter than the others or a lot cooler you prolly have a caliper/caliper bracket thats gone bad. excess rust is usually the cause. the built up rust flakes off when you put the new pads in and then they dont slide evenly in the channels causing a bind. takes years and years for this to happen usually around 10+ IF your driving in a salt/snow area

also did you put some white grease on the ends of the ears of the pads that fit the hardware?? its needed for the pads to slide freely in the hardware brackets, and did you use new hardware?? you should change the hardware when you change pads.

i use brakeclean degreaser on the pads and rotors to clean off any grease brake fluid oil off the rotor pad surfaces. brake urfaces should be sprayed anytime you do any brake bleeding. it doesnt take much brake fluid to muck up a rotor surface.

its also possible to get a bit of rust flake when installing new pads in between the new pads and rotor which might cause a squeel

these arent the only causes just the ones i can think of off the top of my head

you can rebuild calipers but i think its a pain and not really worth the hassle. if i get a binding caliper i just replace the caliper and caliper bracket since when starts to go its probably got other issues that are about to crop up.

Last edited by JonM; 05-17-2014 at 10:31 PM.