Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Brake component info.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake component info.

Hey guys, trying to track down a brake issue that i am having. I have Wilwood on the front end and stock on the rear, i called Wilwood support about the issue and they asked for the following info that i am having trouble finding. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

What size bore is master cylinder
size of booster and if its dual or single diaphragm
and the ratio of the pedal

I found a couple different bits of info on the master cylinder bore but im not sure if my car originally had disc brakes or not. Maybe a call to the dealer is in order there. (unless someone knows another way to tell)

BTW in case someone want to know the issue, The car does not want to stop. pedal gets hard but does not really stop very well. It also sounds like its trying hard to stop. When i apply the brakes very hard it makes a kind of whirring sound. Its actually what my CTS sounds like when i have to make an emergency stop with it, however the CTS stops very well. The Camaro does not. Ill put it this way i cant even lock the brakes up if the pavement is wet.

Things i have done is... Bleed the entire system, sanded the pads and rotors (in case they were glazed) and checked for vacuum leaks.

The front is wilwood 4 piston calipers and lightweight rotors. Rear is stock. I replaced the entire rear setup with stock replacements when i first bought it because the entire rear end was shot as far as the brakes go. (which makes me think this had stock rear discs.)

Im thinking about purchasing this proportioning valve...
Amazon.com: Wilwood 260-11179 Proportioning Valve: Automotive Amazon.com: Wilwood 260-11179 Proportioning Valve: Automotive

I was told that this is usually most of the problem when switching to a front setup like i have. Thoughts??
Old 09-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1980 El Camino
Engine: Turbocharged 305
Transmission: TH350 (future 4L80E)
Axle/Gears: stock 2.56 posi
Re: Brake component info.

The master cylinder is a step bore master cylinder. It has a 1.25" primary (volume) bore and a 24 secondary (pressure) bore. It is used in conjunction with low drag calipers. Low drag calipers came stock on all third gen f-bodies with the standard 10.5" diameter rotors.

Brake booster is a 9" diameter, dual diaphragm.

Power booster pedal ratio is 3.2 to 1. The brake pedal is 12 inches from center of the pivot point to the middle of the brake pad. The power booster pin/stud location is 3.75" down from the center of the pivot point of the brake pedal.

Last edited by manualbrakes.com; 09-24-2015 at 04:39 PM.