Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Prop Valve and Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Trans Am GTA; '84 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350TPI; 5.3 LSx built
Transmission: N/A; T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt; 3.73 10 bolt
Prop Valve and Big Brakes

Hey folks,

I've finally gotten around to putting my one car back together. Motor has been assembled, trans is getting redone, but enough of that. I was wondering one thing though.

I had originally planned to run Camaro SS Brembos on all four corners. After talking to a friend who had run C6 Z06 brakes on his car, he suggested to refrain from running fixed calipers on a C clip axle rear. He explained why and I decided to take his advice. I'll still run all four brembos; but not right off the bat.

So, having had half the PBR rear setup, I decided to just finish that, run that, then eventually make the switch. But, I was wondering. I have a 1LE prop valve sitting in my parts pile. And I believe a J65 master. The master should not be an issue. But can I run the 1LE prop valve with the PBR rears and SS Brembos up front?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Prop Valve and Big Brakes

Your prop valve would work fine, you can get aggressive with the rear brakes since your bias will be forward with the larger front brakes. Some experince to consider about your other option:
The C-Clip with a fixed caliper, typically this can be a problem, but our experience with the shop car is anything but. It is a 97 rear axle and is fairly tight endplay wise (.015 - .020) per side This car has had the C7 rear brakes on it all last summer with a about 1000 miles logged, no scrapping or grinding, no pedal droop, no knock back detected. Nothing but positives.
My opinion, and its strictly an assumption is that what little end play there is in this rear either does not allow any appreciable knockback to notice in the pedal OR since the pistons are so small and react so fast that any knockback is quickly taken up on opposite side pistons instead of running back up the line to the reservoir...just my guess.
Seriously though it was a major consideration when making and offering these 4 piston rear kits but hundreds of brackets and kits are out in the last 3 years now and really no customers have come back to me with a problem. Yes shimming the caliper to be DEAD center is paramount since there is very little room to "walk" in either direction but if there were issues... I would not be selling these rear brembo brackets. They are almost the single best selling product this last year.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Trans Am GTA; '84 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350TPI; 5.3 LSx built
Transmission: N/A; T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt; 3.73 10 bolt
Re: Prop Valve and Big Brakes

Hey Scott, I thought you might chime in.

So that would be a yes on the 1LE prop valve for the time being.

I have spindles that will be going your way soon enough. I gotta deal with the T56 first. I'll send the spindles off once I recover from the trans and clutch install. As for the rears, I do indeed want to run the SS brembos out back. And I agree with you that it is possible to have good results. BUT.... The knock back and inconsistent pedal was not the only consideration this time round.

I'm shooting to get this car on the road ASAP. Meaning it won't be pretty nor "Done", but I can drive it for the first time in years. Due to that, and me having half the parts for the PBRs already, I thought screw it I'll just run these for now. Better than the delco moraines.

I'll probably grab a set of calipers from ebay or something, now when I do make the switch to the SS Brembos out back, I'll need to switch to an adjustable valve right, or will it be ok to use the 1LE one then as well?