Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Big Brake Kit Spindle

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: LS1 10bolt w/ 3.73
Big Brake Kit Spindle

To anyone who has done their own big brake upgrade, LS1 C5, etc, how much grinding did you have to do on the mounting holes? My drivers side spindle seems to be really "high" at the landing points for the caliper bracket. When i did the LS1 swap everything was OK, but i still had to take a file to the top side to bring the mounting points for the caliper bracket into a parallel plane as the rotor.

Now that i have the C5 kit, things seems worse, 1/2" plate, seems really true, but at the bottom the abutment bracket is rubbing badly on the rotor, while the top seems to be offset towards the inside of the wheel well.

My solution is to hit both spots with the 4" grider and then finish with a file. I need to pick up somewhere around .070" By that i mean move the caliper bracket towards the engine bay .070" at the bottom mounting point, and then slightly less at the top.

Any thoughts? Did i just get the weird spindles from the factory?
Old 02-28-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Big Brake Kit Spindle

I do many,many spindle sets a year give or take and you don`t grind on the dust shield pads except to remove corrosion where the shield did not sit. I do have a few customers and myself that run across a spindle or two a year that the pads are off plane against each other, yes it is unlucky and most likely if you picked up another spindle everything would be perfect.

Most likely if you have ground on the pads, the bracket will never sit true to the rotor again, sounds like it was bad from the get to me.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by BBU.COM
I do many,many spindle sets a year give or take and you don`t grind on the dust shield pads except to remove corrosion where the shield did not sit. I do have a few customers and myself that run across a spindle or two a year that the pads are off plane against each other, yes it is unlucky and most likely if you picked up another spindle everything would be perfect.

Most likely if you have ground on the pads, the bracket will never sit true to the rotor again, sounds like it was bad from the get to me.
thanks, that's what I was afraid of hearing. I guess I'll have to reweigh my options here.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

I have had this happen, What I did was bolt down the bracket using 1 bolt and then rotate it to see where it hits the other mounting boss. Measure how much it's off and use a pilot end mill and sneak upo to where it's true. Not a problem at all
Old 03-01-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
I have had this happen, What I did was bolt down the bracket using 1 bolt and then rotate it to see where it hits the other mounting boss. Measure how much it's off and use a pilot end mill and sneak upo to where it's true. Not a problem at all
Thanks, Im sure I can figure something out. Just didn't want to take the spindles off.

I might try something. Otherwise it might be just time to bite the bullet and go hunting in the junk yards.