Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Rear Disc Brake Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 CAMARO RS
Engine: 350 carbed
Transmission: 700R4
Rear Disc Brake Issues.

I changed the rotors, calipers, and brake pads on my 1982 Z28. Has 4 wheel disc brakes. I replaced everything and bled the brakes but for some reason my rear brakes get insanely hot. Like to where you can see some smoke coming off of them. I changed the brakes in the rear because the rear passenger side rotor had grooves in it and the pads were toast.

I bled them where I cracked open the bleeder screw and with the car on had my friend push the brake peadal to ensure I had a steady flow. The pedal feels like it should but im not sure why they are heating up?
Old 04-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Rear Disc Brake Issues.

If they are heating up then that usually points to the pads not releasing properly. If it was an issue bleeding the brakes you'd have the opposite problem. Some things that can cause this:

-The caliper piston has seized in the bore or is otherwise not moving freely. Since you replaced the calipers this is unlikely.
-The rubber lines have deteriorated internally. When this happens you can sometimes have them turn into a one-way check valve where it does not release the pressure after you apply the breaks. What condition are they in and how old are they?
-You did clean the rotors off with brake-clean before putting them on, correct? The rotors are covered in oil to prevent rust while sitting unused. This will definitely smoke if you didn't clean it off. I don't doubt you did but you never know .
-The handbrake is too tight or stuck on. Considering that you have the 1982 I think you have the tunnel adjust handbrake cable instead of the auto-adjusting. I think sometimes if the cable is too tightly adjusted to account for wear in the brakes, putting new brakes on can cause it to bind up. With the wheels off the ground were you able to spin them freely?

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. See if any of these lead anywhere.