Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Combination valve leak, need new(er) one

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8 v6
Transmission: 4 speed automatic with OD
Combination valve leak, need new(er) one

I had bad rust problems in the master cylinder that also made the combination value (CV) (proportioning valve) leak. I installed a new master cylinder, but that obviously did not fix the CV.

I am looking for a new or rebuilt or gently used CV to replace my leaky one. The car is a 1988 Firebird V6 with drums in the back. I need to keep it stock to reduce extra work and money. And I need it working (stopping) ASAP.

I saw a few links in my many forum searches that may lead to the right CV. Does anyone know of any sure leads?

I am interested in contacting Muscle Car Research but their site is down all this week. Does anyone have a phone number for them?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Combination valve leak, need new(er) one

Drum valves aren't hard to come by. About all you need to watch for, is the changes in the fitting threads and the flares. I can't remember off the top of my head when they changed, but it seems like 84, and again in 90. That leaves a lot of potential junkyard donors. Easy way to go is to look for a paper tag on the valve with a two letter code, or on the side of the valve for a two letter code engraved in the body, then get one from a salvage yard with the same code.