Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

AutoX car braking questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42
AutoX car braking questions

1987 Formula - LS - Muncie 4 spd.

Front I was considering 13" C5 brakes, cross drilled, slotted with EBC pads.

Rear I purchased the 1le/LT1 backing plates from Fly N bye, so same as mentioned above.

I see a lot of people using manual boosters, but I cannot see how that would be beneficial if you plan on driving on the street ever, and as far as proportioning valve, I'd use the WilWood adjustable one.

Should I also look into an upgraded master cylinder? For that size of brakes would I have to go with a larger diameter version?

Also do the 13" rotors fit the 16" Formula rim?
Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS
Re: AutoX car braking questions

Proper master cylinder selection is made based on pedal ratio, desired pedal effort and cross sectional area of the caliper pistons. You've got some math to do.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

In general, 13" brakes don't fit in Formula wheels, although some may just clear.

Moving up to 17" wheels will give you the brake clearance and extra tire width you need to work well in autocross.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:09 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Stock master cylinder pushes enough fluid volume to operate the new brakes. No need to change the master cylinder. Larger diameter would just make the pedal harder to push and shorter travel. You wouldn't like it.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I will 2nd what Paul said. Larger wheels will give you better tire and brake selection. I would skip the drilled option. Most drilled rotors are not up to the heat generated by sustained competition driving and will crack. Stick with slotted or even flat face rotors. Pad choice is the most critical component of the equation. Going to larger rotors and better calipers is meaningless if you choose the wrong pad. You may go through a few variations before you find the one that works best for you but EBC is a good place to start.

As a caution: Autocross is a gateway drug to road course racing which will require you to redo your brakes again.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I'm going to add one more thing into what Tom said.

If you get the right brake system, you may not have to replace the entire kit for moving upstream in racing.

As an example, autocross probably won't get 1pc brake rotors hot enough to warp on 98% of cars, but road racing will. So if you get say a 13" 4 piston brake kit for autocross and move up to road racing, a pad change and moving up to 2pc rotors might be all you need to do. Get the wrong kit and you may have to replace it with something better.

Originally Posted by Beater79TA
I will 2nd what Paul said. Larger wheels will give you better tire and brake selection. I would skip the drilled option. Most drilled rotors are not up to the heat generated by sustained competition driving and will crack. Stick with slotted or even flat face rotors. Pad choice is the most critical component of the equation. Going to larger rotors and better calipers is meaningless if you choose the wrong pad. You may go through a few variations before you find the one that works best for you but EBC is a good place to start.

As a caution: Autocross is a gateway drug to road course racing which will require you to redo your brakes again.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 630 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
You've got some math to do.
These tools may or may not be useful.

I've haven't decided that with the upgrade to the LS front and PBR rear calipers (over whatever my stock configuration was) necessitates the need for an LS master cylinder.