Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Total audio noob question ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 T/A WS6 Vert/1956 Chevy Nomad
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 w/ Transgo Kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD
Total audio noob question ...

I am working on my dad's 86 T/A and I have the interior completed. Except I can't get the factory stereo working. Whoever had it before installed an "FM amplifier" or something like that where you push a button and it's supposed to increase your signal? The antenna from the dash ran to this box with the button on it, then an antenna from the box ran to the back of the stereo. Also, an orange wire ran from the box and was spliced into one of the factory wires. This radio has a push-button power switch, and when I push it I only hear a click that sounds like it comes from the passenger's side dash. I don't even get any indication that it comes on ... and by that I mean that the clock stays on ... the display doesn't switch to show a radio station. Everything is hooked up in the back of the radio like it should be.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Chris
Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73?
Re: Total audio noob question ...

The orange wire is probably a power wire, and is most likely hooked into the switched power wire. (Power only when the ignition is on.) This is probably what feeds the little box it's juice so it can amplify the signal. It's possible that it's the antenna wire, which when the stereo is on sends a small amount of voltage to a power antenna to tell it to extend, but I doubt it. There are usually two wires that go to the stereo for power. A constant, which helps the stereo maintain time and channel settings, and of course the switched power. My first course of action would be to locate those two wires and make sure they are operating as should. They're usually pretty easy to find. The speaker wires usually are color paired. IE: Green and Green/White, Orange and Orange/White. Ground is usually black and power has a tendency to be orange or red or yellow. If you already know which wires are which and know they're working as they should, there may be a fault in the actual power button of the radio. I've never had much of a problem with reception in these F-Bodies, so I would almost suggest scrapping the amplifier, or at least for the time being, and unless you're going for the stock look, why not trade up for a newer head unit? They're cheap.

Good Luck!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 T/A WS6 Vert/1956 Chevy Nomad
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 w/ Transgo Kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD

I guess I should just switch head units and see if that works. I hate to cut those factory harnesses though.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305, holley 4bbl. stock for now
Transmission: th200c, 700r4 coming in spring

you dont have to, they make harnesses that connect straight to the factory harness, and it flares the wires on the other end to solder, crimp, or the mating of your choice. and theyre like $10.