Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Where to hide a touchscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro Vert
Engine: 305 TBI V8
Where to hide a touchscreen?

Since getting my third-gen a couple weeks ago I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to do about audio. I got a '92 Camaro Vert - it had a Kenwood KCD-X811 installed but not working. I checked the fuse in the back of the unit and it was ok, and the fuse under the dash is ok. I tested the harness for the Camaro and it seems to be working properly so I think the Kenwood is just shot. In my old car ('98 Buick Regal) I had a Kenwood DDX512 which I loved. 90% of the time I would listen to my iPod, I would occasionally listen to books on CD on long road trips and very rarely FM Radio.

I was planning on purchasing a similar head unit with a flip-up display for the Camaro, but have run into some issues. My initial plan was to flip the HVAC controls and put the radio above it. I was able to easily mount the HVAC controls where the radio normally mounts and simply flip the faceplate upside-down, but the mock-up I made of the radio I wanted to purchase showed that it wouldn't clear the corner of the dash. I also considered somehow having the screen pop-up from where the ash try is or the flat part above the center console, but there isn't enough depth in either of those locations.

The best solution I can think of is to get a factory radio and have everything mounted as it would have been from the factory. Because it's a convertible I am pretty concerned with theft, and don't want to give anyone any reason to cut into the top. I would then install a CarPC in the trunk. I would use the factory radio as an amplifier so it would still control volume and eq if I get one so equipped. I would probably buy one of the ones from ebay with an aux input but ask them to install it in the rear of the unit.

The only place I can think of to install a monitor is to have a flip-down one under the center vents. I would prefer to have it be able to be completely hidden though...anyone have any suggestions as to where I could hide it?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Where to hide a touchscreen?

ill have to get you some pics of my car tonight. you can make a custom plate that lowers the radio and raises the hvac controls, and leaves the perfect amount of room. get the measurement of the deck, bottom of deck to top of open screen and let me know.
just to double check.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Car: '92 Camaro Vert
Engine: 305 TBI V8

I'm trying to picture what you're talking about but I'm not sure I completely understand Pictures would definitely help, and be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi

Way too much work. I have a Valor touch screen DVD CD radio in my car the last few years. I too have a 92 and just installed it in the regular radio pod. Screen comes up and clears everything. All screens are adjustable. Also the original factory radio location is perfect because police can't see you have a screen, even when they are next to you. I did not move my climate controls. I just set them before the radio flips up or set the radio not to flip up unless I want it too.