Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Best options for reviving tired sound system while keeping stock head unit...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best options for reviving tired sound system while keeping stock head unit...?

Not looking to rattle the seats - just want to be able to hear my tunes with the tops off....

My '89 stock system is stressed, it's distorted and audio cuts out on the passengers side intermittently.

Will new speakers and an amp bring me back to life and help me enjoy my tunes again?
I want to keep the stock head unit and if i do get an amp I want to make it as incognito as possible...

Any upgrade suggestions/ recommendations would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM

Car: 91 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Re: Best options for reviving tired sound system while keeping stock head unit...?

whats the amp for, extra speakers or small sub? typically from what ive experienced with a new head unit you can make old speakers sould alot better. your speakers cutting out might be due to bad connection somewhere could be at the speaker, loose wire, internal (head unit) issues. i guess your going for a stock look with the factory head unit?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Re: Best options for reviving tired sound system while keeping stock head unit...?

Originally Posted by T/Atime
whats the amp for, extra speakers or small sub? typically from what ive experienced with a new head unit you can make old speakers sould alot better. your speakers cutting out might be due to bad connection somewhere could be at the speaker, loose wire, internal (head unit) issues. i guess your going for a stock look with the factory head unit?

Correct, I'm trying to keep to the original look...

But I might have to bite the bullet and switch out the original head unit for a new one- might be the cheaper too...

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to car audio so I thought hooking an amp up to new speakers would compensate for the stock head unit while keeping it intact...
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 PM

Car: 91 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:73

btw welcome to the club. lots of good information on this site. i trust these guys more than everyday local mechanics.

As for your car, depends how much money you want to invest in trying to make your old stuff work like its new. if you just replace your head unit all your problems might be solved. you might decide your old speakers are still ok for your use.
But you might later find your speakers could need replacement too.

in my car my no means is the audio highend but its great for what i like. the head unit is a pioneer 50x4 cd, dash speakers are kicker 4x6, 6x9 in the rear are alpine, i also have a 200w mono amp made by rockford, the sub is a 10" kenwood that fits perfectly in the rear hatch area (not a custom box btw)

If you really want to make your old stuff work. i would test it with another unit just to make sure you know what your dealing with before you start spending money. that is if you have a friend with an old deck just kicking around. hook it up if the sound improves then you know you have a crap head unit. check out the search too you can find lots of information like that just takes time.