Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Camaro speaker amps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic
Camaro speaker amps?

Hey I have a 1991 camaro with the stock delco speakers I was wondering if the speakers came with amps like the corvettes from factory because I tried replacing them with after market speakers I did the rear first and the drivers side sail worked but the quality was crappy and got all distorted when I turned the bass up also the passenger side rear I hooked that up as well but no sound came through i don't know if that's a head unit problem or something to do with amps I'm kinda novice when it comes to speakers and how they work
Old 04-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: Camaro speaker amps?

Some 87-92 Camaros did have a BOSE system. The BOSE system requires an AMP for each speaker. The BOSE system has:

2 Speakers in each lower "kick" panel in the front
2 Speakers in the locking storage cover in the hatch in the rear

If your car has 2 front speakers under the dash board and a speaker next to the rear seat on each side,... you have a "regular" radio system and those speakers do NOT require an AMP.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by skyarme
Hey I have a 1991 camaro with the stock delco speakers I was wondering if the speakers came with amps like the corvettes from factory because I tried replacing them with after market speakers I did the rear first and the drivers side sail worked but the quality was crappy and got all distorted when I turned the bass up also the passenger side rear I hooked that up as well but no sound came through i don't know if that's a head unit problem or something to do with amps I'm kinda novice when it comes to speakers and how they work
If you have a bose system (speakers with amps) It will say bose on the radio. One way another either the amps or head unit need servicing. Can you post pictures.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

also the passenger side rear I hooked that up as well but no sound came through

A bad passenger rear ( Right Rear ) channel that produces no sound ( or very low sound compared to the LEFT ) is a pretty common problem with almost all "regular" 80's-to-mid 90's Delco cassette decks. About 1/5 - 1/4 of all the decks I've pulled from junkyards over the last 20 years had this problem.