Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Delco 5 band EQ UX1 Radio won't turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Delco 5 band EQ UX1 Radio won't turn on?

I just reinstalled the 5 band EQ that came uninstalled with my IROC. Luckily, the PO didn't cut any wires to install the aftermarket Kenwood deck that came installed in the car. A 10 minute swapover BUT the time lights up 1:00 and keeps time but I can't turn the radio on o tune in a station. If I turn the ignition off, the radio responds to a press of the top **** and displays the time as it should. I checked to voltages (+12v constant and switched) with no problems. Ideas? I think I read somewhere the power switch on these radios are a common problem? Anything else I should check for?
Old 05-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Delco 5 band EQ UX1 Radio won't turn on?

Broken solder joints, leaking capacitors, decayed drive belts, and dried out rubber capstan rollers.

Back in the day, my buddy had a stack of about 50 different Delco units. I remember one day watching as he went thru the pile looking for a good unit. Ended up pulling one from another car. LOL Lots of the wouldn't power up, or the display was garbled, or they'd come and go with bumps, or one or more channels wouldn't work... Lots of failure modes.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

If it's a power button style UX1 then thee's a 90% chance it's just a bad switch.

The clock function runs off the ORANGE ( 'hot' at all times ) power wire so it can keep time,... but the radio "tuner" gets it's power from the Yellow wire when the Key is turned.

Sometimes you can get lucky and pull a switch apart and get it working again,.... but your really just better off replacing it.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm back to this project now and checked the power switch with my meter - it works fine. I did check and I do have both constant and switched +12V. I do have an aftermarket unit in the dash now that uses an adapter to the factory, uncut wiring and it works with no problems. Despite having 5% of the functionality of the Kenwood unit I have installed now I'd really like to get back to the factory look. Any thoughts on where to look next?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member

If you got as far as opening up the radio & chasing power at that switch when the key is turned,.... then confirmed the other wire is powered ON/OFF/ON/OFF when the power button is used ---> it's time to start following the traces on the circuit boards to see where they lead.

If you've got power to the radio (Full-Orange and Switched-Yellow ) OK, Good Ground, & you've got power TO and FROM the power button OK,...... something on 1 of the circuit boards inside the Head Unit is fried.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: Built 406ci
Transmission: 700R4 w/3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Torsen Posi, Moser Axles

I have this same radio and it just started doing this, if I push the button a few times, it will come on but then at times when I'm driving it just goes off. As I push the button, it will come on and off and it's getting worse. Anyone here work on these things? I had it looked at a number of years ago by a member here for the same problem and while he had the radio he changed out the light bulbs and installed a audio jack for MP3 or other device, it has worked great until recently. I would love to find a proper sized din aftermarket radio but I haven't found one yet. Thanks for any help or ideas.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

IMO it's more risky and expensive to ship your Delco out to someone to replace the power button. It's a really easy repair and your better off finding someone local to you to do this work if you're not able to do it yourself. You're looking at about $18 shipped each way, then paying for the button and labor. Take it from someone that has a lot of radios shipped (to and from),....shipping a radio is risky - they are small and heavy and postal carriers ( all of them ) treat those packages like a football. If the radio is not properly packed ( and MOST of them are not ) then the radio WILL get damaged.

You can get a replacement power button from any 82-95 (or so) Delco head unit that has a similar power button.