Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Low volume on left side speakers on tape deck only

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1994 Trans AM Gt
Engine: 5.7 LT1
Transmission: Auto
Low volume on left side speakers on tape deck only

Hello everyone,
I have a very weird thing going on. I have the ETR AM/FM/Cassette/ Graphic Equalizer UT6. When I use my cassette deck, I get very little sound out of the left speakers. If I put the balance all the way to the left, and turn the volume up, you can hear it. At first I thought it was the speakers, so I had them checked. The tech didn't find any problem. I tried my tape again, and got the same issue. Then I realized, they work with FM. The tech was testing FM, not tape. I've tried different tapes, and nothing changes. Also, sometimes I get erratic volume on the volume ****. Any thoughts?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars
Re: Low volume on left side speakers on tape deck only

All the switches and controls need cleaning with the proper cleaner. Never WD-40.
There is a micro-switch inside that is dirty (oxidized) that is causing your problem.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1994 Trans AM Gt
Engine: 5.7 LT1
Transmission: Auto

Can you elaborate? Switch inside where? I would never use WD-40 as a cleaner. I tried regular alcohol, and a swab, like we used to back in the day, on the tape deck, but I have no way to engage the head to make contact to clean it.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

Almost certainly a Tape mechanism problem. I've noticed that this is more common with the non-EQ radio tape mech. Something is wrong with the output circuit on the left side - don't know what the problem is or how it can be fixxed,..... just know that I've experienced this several times in the past and I remember that it happens with the non-EQ radios. ( not to say that the EQ radios can't have this problem - just I've just only found it on the non-EQ decks. ) My Fix = replacing the cassette mechanism.

A 'crackle' or "static' sound made when adjusting the ***** is also not uncommon...... it's possible that electronic circuit spray cleaner might help; you need to spray the post portion of the **** ( pull off the ***** and spray at the end of the posts) in hopes that it will seep inside the **** control and clean up the contacts inside it a little. Sometimes it helps - sometimes it doesn't.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

When the tape mechanism is engaged, there is a microswitch that switches between audio sources ....... radio or cassette.
When it gets oxidized (dirty), you get a loss of signal in one or both channels (left or right).
That is why you can hear both channels when using the radio, but only one with the cassette.
A switch that does this exists in all cassette/stereos. You will have to go inside yours to find that switch and clean it.
No, I can't tell you exactly where it is located for your particular unit. Your scratchy volume control is also dirty.
Try searching for a youtube video about cleaning a potentiometer.