Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Custom PROM chip for an Olds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom PROM chip for an Olds?

Hey everyone, this is my first post here and just wanted to say hi before I ask my question.

I wanted to post this in the 'do it yourself PROM chip burning' section, but it appears it's taboo to ask my question there .

I have an 85 Olds 442 I recently swapped in an Olds 350 into. I'm still running on all the stock computer stuff ( carb, distriputor, ECM...). Haven't tuned the carb yet, but it's running pretty darn good right now.

Anyway, I wanted to get a custom built chip for my setup, but for now, I'd just like to get a chip burned that would turn the EGR function off ( so I can dump all the excess clutter under the hood associated with the EGR ). I know this can be done, but there are no Olds guys that I know off who deal with this stuff. I can't do it myself either as I don't have the equipment or the knowhow to do such things.

So point me in the right direction guys. Who do I need to talk to about burning me a custom chip for my Olds?

P.S. Any other usefull info on my ECM that you guys want to share, that'll be great. I'd like to understand this thing a little better.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

You're right, it's not a proper application for this Board. But, since the answer is the same as it would be for an '82-'87 cc-carb f-body, I'll let it go (this time).

The answer is, there isn't much choice. Some people have said they've reprogrammed their carb chip, but haven't gotten into detail how they did it.

Jet used to offer computer controlled carb chips, but I don't know if they still do. People seem to either be hot or cold about Jet products, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:04 AM

Re: Custom PROM chip for an Olds?

Originally Posted by five7kid
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

You're right, it's not a proper application for this Board. But, since the answer is the same as it would be for an '82-'87 cc-carb f-body, I'll let it go (this time).
Hmmm, moved to the carburetor section I see....

Anyway I'm confused. Are you saying I shouldn't have asked if someone could burn me a chip in general or that I shouldn't have asked because I wanted a chip burned for an Olds?

All I want to really do is turn the EGR off on my ECM. I figured this would be the best place to ask ( the F-Body forums ) since alot of you guys are whiz'es at this stuff.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Topics need to be "third gen related" - meaning, "Can this question and answer be applied to 3rd gen f-bodies?" In this case, the answer is "yes". If you start asking about headers for your Olds 350 in the 442, that wouldn't be allowable.

The easiest way to handle EGR is to disconnect the vacuum and leave the electrical connected to the solenoid. The EGR won't function, but since all the ECM looks for is a load on the circuit, it won't throw a code (there has been talk about looking for a drop in part-throttle manifold vacuum after the EGR has been activated, but I've never verified that - I know I don't get an SES light).

EGR doesn't really affect performance, so why do you want to turn it off?

I moved this topic to the Carburetor forum because you were talking about a CC carb. Although EGR isn't specific to CC carb, it'll get less unwanted attention (because it's an Olds) in here.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid
Topics need to be "third gen related" - meaning, "Can this question and answer be applied to 3rd gen f-bodies?" In this case, the answer is "yes". If you start asking about headers for your Olds 350 in the 442, that wouldn't be allowable.
I assumed my question was universal since turning off the EGR function is probably the same as turning it off on an F-Body ECM. I don't think it really matters what make the ECM is.

The easiest way to handle EGR is to disconnect the vacuum and leave the electrical connected to the solenoid. The EGR won't function, but since all the ECM looks for is a load on the circuit, it won't throw a code (there has been talk about looking for a drop in part-throttle manifold vacuum after the EGR has been activated, but I've never verified that - I know I don't get an SES light).
That's not the way it works though. If you just unplug or remove your EGR, the ECM will still give you a bunch of extra spark advance so you'll end up pinging like crazy since you don't have the EGR diluting your mixture. Unplugging/removing an EGR valve ( or the EGR solenoid ), does not make the ECM throw a code.

EGR doesn't really affect performance, so why do you want to turn it off?
As stated, I want to remove the excess clutter under the hood. Emmisions are not a concern.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 389 Likes on 332 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by DoubleV
As stated, I want to remove the excess clutter under the hood. Emmisions are not a concern.
Even for the sake of cleaning up excess clutter, I don't see the reason to negatively impact your fuel mileage like that. EGR is actually reducing internal pumping losses on your engine and helps give you increased mileage at steady state cruise.

As far as CCC Q-Jet Tuning...It can be done, but is easiest with the 1988 style 830 ECM, I actually have the Definition file and a modified ADAY .bin for one hanging around somewhere, I had a 1988 Cadillac with a 403 in it.

The Mixture control solenoid table, Timing Map, and TCC settings are all adjustable as well as much more. There is even a Decel Enleanment, fuel shut-off that pushes the mixture control solenoid to full duty cycle and inserts the primary metering rods fully into the jets. The end result was a 300+ HP 403 that got better fuel mileage than the 180 HP 307 that it replaced. Vin 9 car FWIW.

Last edited by Fast355; 06-17-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fast355
Even for the sake of cleaning up excess clutter, I don't see the reason to negatively impact your fuel mileage like that. EGR is actually reducing internal pumping losses on your engine and helps give you increased mileage at steady state cruise.
I was under the impression that EGR helping your milage was a myth. In fact some people says it does the opposite. If I were to take a guess, I would think it wouldn't matter either way but I have no experience to back that up.

As far as CCC Q-Jet Tuning...It can be done, but is easiest with the 1988 style 830 ECM, I actually have the Definition file and a modified ADAY .bin for one hanging around somewhere, I had a 1988 Cadillac with a 403 in it.
I considered this route a while back but I don't think that ECM is a direct plug in for my car and I don't want to splice wires and such to make it work. If it were a direct swap, I would probably go that route.

The Mixture control solenoid table, Timing Map, and TCC settings are all adjustable as well as much more. There is even a Decel Enleanment, fuel shut-off that pushes the mixture control solenoid to full duty cycle and inserts the primary metering rods fully into the jets. The end result was a 300+ HP 403 that got better fuel mileage than the 180 HP 307 that it replaced. Vin 9 car FWIW.
That sounds pretty wicked. I would love to have a chip that was 'perfect' for my set up but I don't know anyone who could do that.