Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Holley Electric Choke help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Holley Electric Choke help please

Im having some problems with my electric choke on my 4160 holley 600.

Main Question : First off, does the choke lever ride on top, underneath, or inside the red arm on the choke?

Background: It started after I put a quick change cap on the secondaries. I dont think I got the choke back on correctly. I first noticed that after I had been driving the car a lot the choke flap would not be completely open. It would require turning the adjustment a lot further then normally designed. So far that the spades are running parallel to the valve covers.

With the choke adjustment setup roughly where it should, when the car is warm, the choke flap will be half shut and the fast idle will still be on. When I noticed this I moved the adjustment back to where the 12v spades are parallel to the valve covers. That fixed the high idle. Starting wasnt the easiest, but it wasnt hard, so I left it alone.

Now that it is alittle colder, it takes some work to get the car started which is understandable, but even when it is warm, the fast idle cam "creeps" up. Im finding myself having to rev the motor at stop lights to get the idle to drop. As soon as I touch the gas again though it stays up around 1500.

Last winter the choke worked perfectly. I could pump the gas twice and the car would fire right up. Never had to pump it again. After awhile I could blip the throttle and the fast idle would drop off. It drove perfectly.

I havent messed with the fast idle screw at all. Like I said I only removed the choke to install a quick change secondary cap. I think I might have the choke lever in the wrong spot. But Im not sure how it goes. Holley's instructions suck. http://static.summitracing.com/globa...199r8000-3.pdf
Im thinking my problem has something to do with #5 on the instruction sheet.

Can anyone explain that to me alittle better? I'll try to get a pic later of my car.

Thanks guys
Old 11-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Holley Electric Choke help please

I was searching through google images and came across this

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te.../photo_06.html

that should help me out once I get to look at my carb. Cant really remember what it looks like off the top of my head. I'll look at it this evening, hopefully it is just something simple.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Holley Electric Choke help please

Well I tried adjusting the thing yesterday evening. When I moved the adjuster more towards where it should be, the idle went way up even when the motor was warm. The linkage looks like it is all in the right place. Maybe I didnt get the fast idle cam put back in correctly. Going to pull it all off sunday to try and see what I messed up.