Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Holley jet sizing, running hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley jet sizing, running hot

Have a few questions for the knowledgeable...
383, 10:1, AFR 195 heads, 1 7/8" SLP headers, I think the cam is close to a Comp 282 grind. 282*/288* .510/.520 110* lobe seperation.
Roller cam with roller rockers.
650 double pumper.
Car seems to run hot. Temp stays around 220 to 230 with a 185 thermostat. Its just in the garage with a single electric fan and I run a 20" box fan in front to help move some air. It was sorta hot yesterday, maybe 85-90 degrees ambiant.
This is a new motor with zero street time, just getting it running and trying to sort out the bugs before it goes on the street. After running in the garage for ten minutes or so and cycling the RPM's up and down from idle to 3K, then idle to 4K, then idle to 5K and so on, I noticed the headers were beginning to glow orange at the area where to tubes come together. There also seems to be alot of heat coming off the engine. That could just be the combination of ambient and the garage though I guess.
Question is, what is a good starting point with carb jetting ?
Could a lean condition create the the orange glow in the headers ?
Car starts pretty easy and the timing light shows 12* at idle with no vac advance so I'm thinking the distributor is in correctly.
I didn't assemble the engine and it sat for three years sealed up in the garage before the initial startup.
I'm not 100% positive the valves were lashed properly although they are quiet. I do hear noise from the rockers but assume this is from the new rollers.
Its not a valve clatter noise but more of a metal rubbing kind of noise, hard to explain but does not sound detrimental.
So is improper valve lash a possiblity also ?
Thanks for your help.
My initial concern is about a starting point for jetting and the glowing headers.
I'm heading out to the garage now to install an AFR gauge and will check the mixture later today. maybe later this week, depends how the install goes ....

Thanks again, checkeye.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Re: Holley jet sizing, running hot

OK ...
Installed the AFR and it shows between 11 and 13 at idle and around 11 running at 2K, 3K, 4K ... a bit fat off idle but its not lean ...
Did notice after shutting everything down that a spark plug wire was loose/off on the same bank as the AFR is on so maybe its not so good ...
I pulled the radiator cap off to check the water temp in the radiator and the level was low. Added some coolant then it would belch it back out as if the thermostat was opening and closing. Highest temp I read at the radiator was around 140*. So I'm a bit confused by this ... Maybe the temp sender is faulty and giving a false reading ...
In any event I would still appreciate input as to a good starting point for jetting ..
Didn't notice the glowing headers today either. Yesterday I had opened the idle bleeds about 1-1/2 turns for curiosity, maybe that helped today ?

thanks,
checkeye
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

A usual cause of this is the ignition timing too far retarded at idle.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM

OK, thanks !
I would have thought advanced, good to know for the future.