Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

hesitation at light throttle and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 99 grand am, 87 buick turbo T,
Engine: 3.4; 87sfi turbo
Transmission: 4spd OD; 4spd OD BRF valve body
hesitation at light throttle and rough idle

Since my other threads are kinda jumbled up I figure I'd make a new one. This is on a completely stock lg4. I've done a full tune up, verified EFE and Thermac operation, checked all vacuum lines, adjusted the TPS to .46 volts, and checked mounting bolts for the carb. I've also gut the catalytic converter and installed a new denso o2. I've cleaned the carb extensively. Verified timing, verified correct choke operation and RPM is exactly where it should be at high idle, warm idle, and in gear. THe car starts and runs perfectly when cold and runs great. THe problem is once it gets to operating temp it gets a rough idle at all times and a hesitation ONLY at light throttle and under light load while in gear. The EGR is not stuck either. THe MC solenoid seems to be working and has a nice spray pattern when the carb linkage is moved. No puddling during idle. Any ideas are much appreciated. The only thing I can come up with is the possibility of the fuel boiling. Find that hard to believe since the EFE is working and there are no exhaust restrictions. ALso if I let it sit for 10-20 minutes it seems like it's hard to start.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 AM

Re: hesitation at light throttle and rough idle

bump
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am Recaro Edition
Engine: 355 L98 Vortec 226/234 custom cam
Transmission: TKO-600
Axle/Gears: On borrowed time...

I Seem to have the same problem, when the car is fully warmed up it just doesn't have the same power output - it hesitates at WOT and I verified timing, new plugs wires dizzy new remfg carb.... I think it could be vapor lock. Now how can it be fixed.... New fuel pump ? I wonder if there was a fuel boiling recall and if my car had that work done... No way for me to know I am owner #4

Chuck
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM

i put my car on a scanner and it said it was lean at idle. vacuum was over 20hg. i'm gonna check fuel pressure when i get time