Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Need help, Car stalls at operating temp, 82 TA, 4bbl 350ci

Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Trans AM Firebird
Engine: JASPER 350
Transmission: Swapped WC T5
Need help, Car stalls at operating temp, 82 TA, 4bbl 350ci

Jasper 350, 4bbl edlebrock carb.

I just got the car going after the winter. i was able to get through the winter tank (had gas stablizer in it) and ive added gas since. I was driving around town fine for a few days. On monday, i got to my practice space, reversed into the parking spot, parked it, and it stalled out. I noticed it didnt have any gas in the filter. i tried to crank it over a number of times, I got a backfire out the exhaust. I waited and tried again, managed to catch a small carb fire.

I had my band practice for about 5 hrs, and i was able to start the car, and drive it home a mile or so away. once i pulled in the drive way she stalled out.

Yesterday, i fired her up, let her idle, it seems like once she was at normal operating temp she was stalling out. In this case i noticed the fuel filter was full. I was able to turn the key and fire her right back up, but she wouldnt stay running for more than about 5-10 seconds.

I was having fuel delivery issues last year too. for some reason, i had to replace 2 fuel pumps in the past year or so. both from oreilly auto. I have a newer tank, that my mechanic said i didnt necessarily need to change bcuz the gas sample he took came back clean.

Now i had issues w an old mechanic, he jacked up my car, and wouldnt fix it. I dont want to think he would have done anything, but ive always been suspicious that sugar found its way into my gas.. After i replaced the last fuel pump, it seemed to work well.

Now i have a new fuel pump AND push rod just in case (both not installed). Im thinking its a carb issue, but on the other hand, it might be timing maybe both. the guy who jacked up my car, rebuilt the carb and timed the engine, so i can assume it wasnt done right.

I have this car scheduled for a T5 swap this weekend, None of my trusted local mechanics have time to get this figured out tomorrow. I really need to get this figured out so once i get that T5 installed i can just enjoy the car. at the very least, guidance to fix the issue while we swap the trans would be great.

This car means the world to me, ive owned it for 2 years now, and still feel i havent been able to enjoy it. scum mechanic had my trans rebuilt, it s*** out, and was rebuilt again with addition body damage. finally done w auto trans. but im done breaking down, not getting gas, i need to actually enjoy the car this year. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

Last edited by Animosity86; 04-12-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 4bbl
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Need help, Car stalls at operating temp, 82 TA, 4bbl 350ci

so youve got an inline filter in the engine bay? is yours fitted with the fuel filter underneath the car aswell?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:46 AM

pretty sure its just an inline at the carb. ill double check the rest of the line when i can. the car broke down in my mechanics lot, and he cant do anything w it till monday.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

Unless this was originally a crossfire car, or had an in-tank electric pump installed sometime in the past, it won't have a fuel filter in the line.

Sort of sounds like vapor lock, where the fuel in the line ahead of the pump vaporizes due to heat and the fuel pump sucking on the fuel, lowering the pressure in the supply line. That often is accompanied by a flow restriction in the line. Do you know if the pickup sock was replaced when the fuel tank was replaced? Have you checked the fuel line for any kinks or smashed spots?

The carb'd V8 fuel line from the factory passes over the transmission tunnel. Since the engine has been replaced, it's possible the line was smacked in the process. That would give you a flow restriction in a high heat area - double the possibility of vapor lock. The condition of the line could be checked when the transmission is being replaced.

If it is vapor lock, an electric pump back by or in the tank could help alleviate the problem. The factory came out with a dealer-installed vapor lock kit that included an in-tank pump.

It's also possible winter gas is the issue. Most areas switch over about this time of year. Not unusual to see cars have problems on unusually warm spring days.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong,but GM didn't start installing electric fuel pumps for vapor lock purposes until a couple years after 1982. I had two 1982 trans am's and three 1983's and none of them had that,nor did I ever have vapor lock or heat related issues and I live in socal where it gets hot in the summer.
Personally,I wouldn't install an electric pump in the tank if there is another way around it. It becomes a nightmare when it fails.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

Originally Posted by JimRockford
Correct me if I am wrong,but GM didn't start installing electric fuel pumps for vapor lock purposes until a couple years after 1982. I had two 1982 trans am's and three 1983's and none of them had that,nor did I ever have vapor lock or heat related issues and I live in socal where it gets hot in the summer.
If a customer complained about vapor lock, it could be installed in any of the 3rd gens.

Originally Posted by JimRockford
Personally,I wouldn't install an electric pump in the tank if there is another way around it. It becomes a nightmare when it fails.
No more of a nightmare than vapor lock. They don't fail that often, especially if you go with a better quality brand.

There are other ways around it, like rerouting the fuel line so it doesn't pick up so much heat.

Hopefully your replacement mechanical pumps have been the factory type with the return. If not, then get one. The Carter 6626 is a good but still reasonably-priced choice.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:25 AM

My issue you the ignition module in the distributor, I replaced the dist, and it runs great.

halfway done w my t5 swap. ran into some issues, but monday it should be all done.

thank you all for the help.

Search this Thread