Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Installing Holley

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Holley

what do I need to do to install a Holley 600cfm double pumper it's a spreadbore going on a 1985 camaro 305 what bore does that have I think it's spread but not positive. Thanks
Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Installing Holley

Yes your stock intake is a spreadbore.

What carb is it? List # please.

What distributor are you planning to use?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:20 AM

I'm using stock so I'm not sure I'll get ye numbers tonight
Old 05-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

Originally Posted by ashtonridez
what do I need to do to install a Holley 600cfm double pumper it's a spreadbore going on a 1985 camaro 305 what bore does that have I think it's spread but not positive. Thanks
If it's a Holley spread bore double pumper, it should be 650 cfm. That's a Model 4165, List 0-6210.

If that's what it is, it has the same bore sizes as a q-jet, and will bolt to your manifold.

And, unless yours is a Canadian car, you will need a different distributor than the stock computer controlled version.

And, if auto transmission, you'll need a throttle valve cable geometry corrector bracket to bolt on the Holley throttle arm.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:49 AM

It's stock American with a manual it's a 6210-3
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

6210 is as close to a bolt-up as there is.

As five7 said, you need a non-computer-controlled distributor. Wouldn't hurt to get the electric choke kit for it.

Expect it to need tuning: out of the box, it will have the "Holley stumble", it will run VERY rich on the highway, and will get about half the gas mileage of the Q-Jet. Properly tuned it won't have any of the driveability problems and the gas mileage will approach the Q-Jet's (over 20). The distributor's advance curve will also figure heavily into that; a junkyard smogger dist, untouched, will cripple the driveability and cost a great deal in wasted fuel. Get a new GOOD QUALITY "performance" one. I'd suggest this http://performancedistributors.com/p...reetstrip-dui/, NOT a bunch of "boxes".
Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

I ran one on my 350 for awhile. I kept the CC distributor by rigging up a throttle position sensor (I'm not recommending that, just saying what I did). I didn't hook up a choke cable, or get an electric choke, however - wish I would have done that. It was mostly an experiment, though.

Gas mileage didn't change (it was my daily driver at the time). I was running it at the drag strip on Fridays, no performance improvement over the factory q-jet. Only interesting observation is I'd occasionally get a lean code in street speeds crusing (I kept the O2 sensor active, even though it wasn't providing any feedback control). It didn't act any differently when the code was set, so that led me to believe that the factory q-jet settings were a bit fat in those conditions.

Overall not a bad carb. But I wouldn't say it's any better than the q-jet. Since you have a manual transmission, that's an argument for the double pumper. Unless your q-jet is FUBAR, though, not sure it's worth it.

Oh, you'll probably also need a ball stud to connect the throttle cable to the throttle arm.