Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Car stalls when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car stalls when in gear

Hello all,

i've spent all weekend on this 83 v6 carb and i'm out of ideas.

The car will idle just fine but if you press the gas or if you put it into gear it will almost certainly stall out and die.

If you goose the s**t out of it you can sometimes coax it enough to keep it running and if you can get it moving you can usually keep it going but if you drop into 1st gear speeds you have to be very careful and play a careful balance of more gas and less clutch to keep it running.

I have no lights on the dash, and I've already replaced the fuel filter, and changed the oil..etc. I've also cleaned the carb best i can with cleaner.

has anyone ever seen this before at all and could point me in any other direction?
Old 08-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Re: Car stalls when in gear

Oh I forgot to add that when you do goose it the car will obviously surge forward all at once, so it's not a very safe thing to do. I basically have to haul *** outta the neighborhood just to keep it running.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:42 PM

Sounds like you are running too lean to me. Check your idle fuel mixture and richen it up.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:28 PM

Car: 1986 CHEVROLET
Engine: 5.0L 305
Transmission: 700R4

What Kind of carburetor does it have?