Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

86 Trans AM won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Trans AM won't idle

Hi guys. I'm new to the board. I bought a 1 owner 86 TA last year and I've run into a problem. I was driving and the car stalled. But when I cranked it back up it would not idle. Got it back home and pulled the codes (13, 44 and 53). Put a new O2 sensor in (13 and 44) but it did not clear code from list. Code 53 is over voltage so I pulled the alternator and had it tested and it was good. I traced wires and found nothing so I found a new ECM and pulled old one out and put PROM in new one. The car seems to run a little better and all error codes cleared but it still will not idle. I can give it gas and I can hold the idle at 1k but if I let off the gas it dies. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 HO
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: 86 Trans AM won't idle

First thing to try is fuel filter, even if it is new.

More information about car status (stock, modifications if not, mileage, what you have maintained)
More information of what you were doing when stalled (hwy, town, stopped)

The more info you give, the better the guys that know can help.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Old 10-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was driving to work (about 23 miles from my house) and stopped at a red light (about 1 mile from work) making a left turn. Light turned green and in the middle of turn car stalls. I get it back home (when you get it going it drives fine) and do the jumper (in a and b) to get the codes to read out.
The car is all original no mods other than the egr capped off. I can rev the car fine no hesitation or sputtering. It did backfire once right after stalling. It has 125K miles on it. Only blows a little blue smoke when first cranked (cold). I have replaced just about all vacuum hoses, spark plugs and distributor cap and coil. I did find one of the vacuum tubes coming out of the carburetor to be lose. I seated it back in but I'm thinking I should put a dab of JB weld on to seal it. Let me know what else I can give for info. Thank you.