Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Q-jet or Holley?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Q-jet or Holley?

EDIT- I just realized that I clicked on convertibles, NOT carburetors. Will a mod please move this to carburetors for me?

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, just needing some quick advice.

I just bought a car that came with a new Holley. I confess ignorance to Holley carbs. I know it's NOT a double pumper, and from everything I can tell, it's got vacuum secondaries. It was not even close to setup correctly on the car it was on, so I ripped the Q-jet off my Cutlass and put it on this new car I bought. Now, after looking at the Holley, it seems like a pain. My throttle linkeage on my Cutlass doesn't mount up correctly and my stock throttle bracket won't work with it. I'm pretty familiar with how to setup a performace Q-jet, and I know nothing about tuning Holleys. Since it's not a double pumper, I'd like to just get rid of it and get another Q-jet for the Cutlass, but this thing is only like 6 months old, so I think it has some more value. I know the previous owner bought it from Autozone and paid like $400 for it. There's a yard I go to locally where I could probably just trade it straight across for a good non-cc Q-jet (they regularly sell them for $50), or maybe the Q-jet and some other parts, but part of me thinks that I should be able to get some decent $$$ out of this, like $150 or so. I have no concept of what this thing is worth, it looks brand new, and I'm fairly sure it's just a basic 600 or 650 Holley with vac. secondaries. Can you guys give me any advice based on this info, or should I get like the exact model and such on the carb?

Last edited by 80smetalfan; 08-19-2007 at 10:10 PM.