Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Switch Relay

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn
Switch Relay

I think I found the Relay that controls the switch to release the tanaeu cover. It is the smaller one behind the larger air bag relay. As you see there are 3 wires coming off the back. Does anyone know what the different colors do? Or know what test to do to see if it is working. I don't hear any clicking at all when I engage the e-brake. I guess the black is ground and Orange is main power? Key on power? Tan wire the energize wire?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn
Re: Switch Relay

I found something interesting in this system. I checked the 3 prongs on the relay with my meter to see what prongs were open. The Black wire connecter is open to the orange and brown. The orange and brown are closed between each other. This is just the relay prongs, not plugged in. I plugged in a working relay, ignition on, brake on and in park. Nothing. I turned the ignition off. I was told the solenoids have constant power to them regardless if the ignition is on. I took the cover off the relay and manually engaged the contactor, BAM! the cover popped! When I had the ignition on it did not work? I was by myself so I couldn't check to see if the switch operated the top with the relay manually pressed. I am not sure how it bypassed the switch in the cover when the car was turned off?