Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Heater control bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac
Heater control bypass

Has anyone ever installed a different type heater valve. Possibly a 2 way rather than the stock 3 way?

I've never liked the way our cars' heater bypass is set up. I can't seem to get over the idea of returning the water from this circuit to the "cool" side of the radiator. It is a nice air bleed, but other than that it just seems like this setup is bypassing a lot of water around the radiator. I have previously installed a restrictor in the hose coming out of the intake but it still pushes a lot of water through and if I restrict it too much then I am worried about heater operation.

The other issue I keep running into is the quality of the heater control valves avaliable at the big 3 parts stores. I have had 3 fail in the past couple of years.

What I am considering is to use a 2 way valve between the intake port and the heater core. This way when the heater is in use the flow would go back to the radiator as usuall. When the heater is "off" there would be no flow through this circuit. Has anyone tried this and what valve did you use?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open
Re: Heater control bypass

Originally Posted by antman89iroc
Has anyone ever installed a different type heater valve. Possibly a 2 way rather than the stock 3 way?

I've never liked the way our cars' heater bypass is set up. I can't seem to get over the idea of returning the water from this circuit to the "cool" side of the radiator. It is a nice air bleed, but other than that it just seems like this setup is bypassing a lot of water around the radiator. I have previously installed a restrictor in the hose coming out of the intake but it still pushes a lot of water through and if I restrict it too much then I am worried about heater operation.

The other issue I keep running into is the quality of the heater control valves avaliable at the big 3 parts stores. I have had 3 fail in the past couple of years.

What I am considering is to use a 2 way valve between the intake port and the heater core. This way when the heater is in use the flow would go back to the radiator as usuall. When the heater is "off" there would be no flow through this circuit. Has anyone tried this and what valve did you use?
you aren't going to get a quality heater control valve. I gave up on the stock one and just installed a cut off valve from the hardware store. it means I have to open the hood and manually turn on the flow of coolant to the core. but it works, AND it does not leak
Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac

Thanks for the input. I have considered what you did but there has got to be a reliable valve out there somewhere. I'm hoping to find an inline valve, 2-way that is still vacuum controlled. I don't care if it's out of a Mazda or Ford or whatever. I guess I'll have to go to the Pick and Pull lot and look around til I find one that looks like it will work and then go buy a new one. Let you know what I find.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by antman89iroc
Thanks for the input. I have considered what you did but there has got to be a reliable valve out there somewhere. I'm hoping to find an inline valve, 2-way that is still vacuum controlled. I don't care if it's out of a Mazda or Ford or whatever. I guess I'll have to go to the Pick and Pull lot and look around til I find one that looks like it will work and then go buy a new one. Let you know what I find.
the problem is not the design. its the cheep a$$ plastic "chinesium" part that you get from the parts retailers. they fail as you already know.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

87 Iroc with carbed engine uses shutoff valve. Four Seasons #74803.
Attached Thumbnails Heater control bypass-74803.jpg