Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

WEIRD FAN WIRING

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEIRD FAN WIRING

Im having a very common problem with my 3rd gen camaro but with a bit of a twist. How it all started, SO i bought my car from a guy and it was his spring - fall cruiser. Car was originally a 1987 camaro sprot coupe 2.8L V6 t5 but the owner before him had swapped in a 305 from an 86 camaro. After i bought the car i didnt touch it for 2 weeks. Then one weekend i took it out , the temp was around 10*C and i let it run for about 15 mins and while i was turned around looking at the subs the car started overheating while sitting in the driveway. I popped the hood and it had just begun smoking , the smoke was coming from the coolant reserviour. The coolant was boiling out and was pissing everywhere. I turned the car off immediately. And there it sat for 2 months. Then when i finally got to it , i changed the thermostat, rad cap, resi tank. Fast forward to this week, i thought the car was good to go. Started it up threw a permit on it and the car drove for a bout 5 mins before overheating again with the same scenario. So i check the fan and realized it doesnt turn on. EXPECT for when the brake pedal is pressed LOL i dont know how this cars fan is wiring and im not quite sure what to do. Could really use some help ! THANKS , Jivan
Old 01-24-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC
Engine: Rebuilt L98 with H/C/I/Carb
Transmission: TH350 with ATI Treemaster
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 4.10's
Re: WEIRD FAN WIRING

Trace the wiring back from the brake pedal switch. Someone may have accidentally tied a ground for the fan wiring into the switch.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:11 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

the fan relay should engage the fan by grounding the signal lead. stock would be through the ECM or a fan switch in the passenger side cylinder head.

find your relay and verify the fan comes on when the lead is shorted to ground, then replace/repair your lead wire to a switch.

my guess is the PO ran the lead under the dash for a manual switch and it got tied into something else.
The following users liked this post:
Brianls (06-25-2021)
Old 01-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

Depending on how badly butchered your wiring is you may just want to consider running a new relay and wiring it your self.
Attached Thumbnails WEIRD FAN WIRING-fan_relay_install_zps19f4125b.jpg