Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Single to Dual Fan Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: Automatic
Single to Dual Fan Conversion

Ok ya'll. I have a 1992 Firebird V6 3.1L. I am trying to figure out how to switch the Single fan set up, to a dual fan setup. I have a 180 degree thermostat in the engine, I have just bought a new Champion 3 core radiator with dual fans and custom shroud. Am currently running the single fan and would like to convert it to be able to use the dual fans. I have also bought a fan relay kit which has wires, with in-line fuse, for both fans coming out of the relay. It also came with a coolant temp sensor (thermostat switch). im confused because half of the posts i have read say the fans are controlled through the ecm, and the other half says it is controlled through coolant temp sensor and relay (not ecm). How should i do this conversion, and how does this system actually work?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: Single to Dual Fan Conversion

How the fans are controlled and when and why they come on varies according to which engine, fuel injection and year of vehicle. However, the factory wired the power supply of the dual fan the exact same way they wired the single fan. The dual fan is still fed from a single power wire, 10 gauge I believe. These wiring schematics show that all they did is splice the feed wire to add the second fan.
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport...F_and_vin8.jpg
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport...on_V8_vinE.jpg

You can splice your single fan's relay energizing wire and use that to trigger the second fan to come on at the same time as the first fan OR you could wire in a toggle switch to control the relay energizing wire. The relays are ground switching for the energizing wire and they can only be switched on with the key or engine on because it also uses a 12 volt + switched.