Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Question about Hose routing with heater core bypassed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end
Question about Hose routing with heater core bypassed

Hey guys so ive had the heater core bypassed for about 6 years now, and dont run a heater/ac so i pulled it all out, put a ac delete box on. Well im just curious if ive had the cooling hoses routed correctly. When i decided to bypass the heater core/heating system itself i pulled all the hosing out and just ran a hose directly from the top passenger side radiator nipple to the rear intake manifold port. Ive always had small small heat issues when sitting at idle for long long times where it would get up to 220F, when cruising i can get to my operating temp 185-195F and it stays cool no prob then.

Im thinking i have it routed incorrectly and i should cap off the radiator port and the intake manifold port as well,

What do you guys think? Do i have it routed correctly, pics attached, or should i cap them? If so what can i use to cap the ports?

Also quick 2nd question do you guys really keep the coolant filled all the way to this reservoir's 'cold' line?

Thanks all for the help, info and advice!
Attached Thumbnails Question about Hose routing with heater core bypassed-img_1111.jpg   Question about Hose routing with heater core bypassed-img_1112.jpg   Question about Hose routing with heater core bypassed-img_1113.jpg   Question about Hose routing with heater core bypassed-img_1114.jpg   Question about Hose routing with heater core bypassed-img_1115.jpg  

Old 06-22-2017, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars
Re: Question about Hose routing with heater core bypassed

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, but here is my opinion:
You have the full serpentine belt setup, so I'm guessing that there is no heater core return port on the water pump, like there was with the v-belt setup. The way that worked was the "HOT" coolant that exited from the intake manifold was routed to the heater core. From there, it exited the HC and was routed back to the water pump's INLET side ("cold"). The way you have it connected, I can't see that that hose does anything because it connects the HOT coolant from the intake manifold to the HOT coolant at the top of the radiator (the bottom of the radiator is the COOL side). If you wish to remove that hose, large rubber vacuum caps are available at your local parts store (HELP packages). And YES, keep the coolant filled all the way to this reservoir's "cold' line. The coolant expands as it is heated (HOT line). As the engine cools back down, a vacuum is created, drawing the coolant back into the system and maintaining the proper level.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end
Re: Question about Hose routing with heater core bypassed

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, but here is my opinion:
You have the full serpentine belt setup, so I'm guessing that there is no heater core return port on the water pump, like there was with the v-belt setup. The way that worked was the "HOT" coolant that exited from the intake manifold was routed to the heater core. From there, it exited the HC and was routed back to the water pump's INLET side ("cold"). The way you have it connected, I can't see that that hose does anything because it connects the HOT coolant from the intake manifold to the HOT coolant at the top of the radiator (the bottom of the radiator is the COOL side). If you wish to remove that hose, large rubber vacuum caps are available at your local parts store (HELP packages). And YES, keep the coolant filled all the way to this reservoir's "cold' line. The coolant expands as it is heated (HOT line). As the engine cools back down, a vacuum is created, drawing the coolant back into the system and maintaining the proper level.
Ok yeah thats kinda how my thinking was, that it was a unneeded coolant line that isnt doing much. I think i might try running it with it off.

Interesting about the coolant fill line.... Idk why it just seems like its so little room for it to expand, over fill in.