Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

R134 high pressure line?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 ws6
Engine: Carb'd 334 stroker
Transmission: T5
R134 high pressure line?

Putting aircon back in my shitbird, going to r134 since r12 is $90/lb here!! Anyway, my high pressure line is garbage and had a hole (wouldn't hold vacuum, found the leak) so needs to be replaced.
with the r134 fitting adaptor, my manifold gauge can't get a reading on the high side, and I don't have r12 connectors. Anyone know of other high pressure lines that will work but already have a r134 fitting? Looked at fourth gens, but they don't look like they'd work. It's for a 1989 setup, though either long or short style would work, since my system is half-assedly thrown together anyway.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: R134 high pressure line?

I've always used an older set of R12/R134A adapter fittings with a floating pin that presses against the original R12 valve. Screw em on, perform whatever maintenance required, and then screw em back off. I realize 'they' want the adapters left on to identify the system as converted, but screw em, I'm the only one that ever services the A/C on my cars, so I'm not worried about it.

I'd probably take the existing hose, and have new rubber crimped onto the existing aluminum. Or just snag a replacement assembly from Rock Auto. I wouldn't bother with salvage hoses due to the age. I've got an extra set that's been sitting in storage for years, looked at it closely awhile back and the hose is all crazed and weather checked.