Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Temp gauge and fans not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temp gauge and fans not working

So I just bought an 89 iroc z, 5 speed 350 TPI and when I bought it, the guy told me the temp gauge didn't work and it needs new fans. Well I looked where the temperature sensor was on the passenger side of the block and where the cooling fan sensor was on the drivers side head and niether of the sensors have wires going to them. I found the wire that goes to the temperature sensor but I cannot find the wire that goes to the cooling fan sensor. Can anyone explain to me or take a picture of where this wiring is coming from??
Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Temp gauge and fans not working

First off, the sender on the driver side is what works the temp gauge. The passenger side one is the fan switch that sends a ground via that green with white stripe wire to the fan relay actuating the passenger side fan. The driver side fan is run by the computer from info it gets from the CTS. Go to the maroon bar up the page and click on HOW-TOS. Then look under electrical and find the article on fans. It is informative and may help. Happy hunting

Last edited by henryd3; 09-11-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by henryd3
First off, the sender on the driver side is what works the temp gauge. The passenger side one is the fan switch that sends a ground via that green with white stripe wire to the fan relay actuating the passenger side fan. The driver side fan is run by the computer from info it gets from the CTS. Go to the maroon bar up the page and click on HOW-TOS. Then look under electrical and find the article on fans. It is informative and may help. Happy hunting

Alright, well I saw that 1 fan spins all the time even when the motor is off but the key is on so I will see which fan that is..and I'll look at the how tos....thank you
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM

This is the sensor that goes to the gauge but I cannot find the wire that goes to it. Can anyone explain to me or show me where this wire comes from?