DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Question For Grumpy

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 77 El Camino
Engine: 355 Converting to TPI
Transmission: Converting to 4L60/4L60E
Question For Grumpy

After reading several of your postings, you seem to be a person with considerable knowledge and the desire to help others. :hail:
I had posted before about using the 5081 to run a TPI along with the possible use of a HEI Distributor. This was your reply:
The 8051 is a great little PCM.
But, it has it's flaws, ie, if there is a power problem during programming, it's DOA, and has to be sent in to someone that can remove, and rewrite one of the chips on it. And for any change you have to reflash the whole unit, rather then just typing in a change when using the Romulator, or AutoProm. And you have to get a set of cables that are 8051 specific.
So far using Tunercat R_T and the Autoprom, is hands down the winner on affordable, easy to use, programming.
And I've spent a fair amount of time with both.
Since this is a TPI and I have a Distributor hole is it posible to use a distributor in place of the Opti-Spark? There was a post that mention someone converting a rear mount using the internal parts of a opti, how hard would this be? What about the Accel Dual Sync Distributor, could it be made to work? The Accel DFI uses a pull-down menu to switch between the Opti, Dual Sync and HEI. Is there some info here that could be used to find a solution for a Opti Replacement?

Thanks for any suggestions that you might be able to enlighten me with.
Bill
Old 03-19-2004, 02:01 AM
Z69
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the whole story, but if your planning on a distributor, why not go with a 165/730 ecm?
Old 03-19-2004, 02:10 AM
Z69
Supreme Member

Went and checked your old post.
If you get a Prominator or a AutoProm like Grumpy was hinting at. You will be able to program like you want with a 165ecm. Which has that expensive MAF you want.

Research,Research,Research
Old 03-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: Question For Grumpy

Originally posted by elcamin0_77us

Since this is a TPI and I have a Distributor hole is it posible to use a distributor in place of the Opti-Spark? There was a post that mention someone converting a rear mount using the internal parts of a opti, how hard would this be? What about the Accel Dual Sync Distributor, could it be made to work? The Accel DFI uses a pull-down menu to switch between the Opti, Dual Sync and HEI. Is there some info here that could be used to find a solution for a Opti Replacement?
There have been guys that have remachined the opti-spark disc to fit inside a modified HEI housing. If you want to keep the individual cylinder trim options, then that's the only way I know of for the moment to do that. How hard is to do?, I couldn't tell you.

While the PCM stuff is neat, it's also kind of over the top for what you NEED. If I was starting with something that had an 8051 I'd for sure use it, but unless someone gave me an Opti-Spark conversion do-dad, I wouldn't bother with it.

While SEFI and individual cylinder trims sound real state of the art, and for emission purposes might be, for the average hotrod, they get to be over kill. There is a range of mods, ie for stock injectors, stock cam, worring about emissions-cost is no limit, change the cam, and add bigger injectors, and batch fire-simple systems can work well. Huge cams, really big injectors, then you might get a better idle with SEFI. For a poorly designed manifold, ie not enough plenum, then cyl fuel trims are nice.

With the advent of the 60PPH injectors, it takes some really large injectors to get to where SEFI is gonna mean much, IMB.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 77 El Camino
Engine: 355 Converting to TPI
Transmission: Converting to 4L60/4L60E
Grumpy, Thanks for the reply.
One day when I get some free time, I might try to see what it takes to put a Opti Disc into a HEI housing. This would help out the people running LT1's and those wanting to use the LT1 PCM's. Untill then, I'll plan on using a 90-92 730 SD Setup. As long as I get the 4 extra feet TPI wiring harness from Painless, I can mount it in a accessible spot.

Z69, Thanks for the info.
I misunderstood Grumpy when he was talking about using Tunercat RT and the AutoProm. I thought he was making a sugestion on what to use when programming the 8051. BTW, I have been doing alot of research on using the 8051. I hadn't done any research on the 730 in about a 2 years. I didn't want to burn chips.

Bill