DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Is my ECM bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 350 TBI
Is my ECM bad?

Up until yesterday, the ol car was runnin great. Finally got her goin after the motor swap. Anyways, she died on me yesterday, and will not start until oil pressure switch kicks in. Now im not completely stumped, but i would like some confirmation. I turn the key to on position, i get no CEL. My fan will not come on, and my fuel pump wont prime. I checked every fuse on the car, they all seem fine, even the fuel pump fuse. Now get this, i unplugged my battery for 30+ seconds to reset the computer, and everything came to life, but didnt last long. Could it be a bad computer? I just replaced this thing less than a month ago is the reason im askin. Any info is greatly appreciated thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"
Re: Is my ECM bad?

Does your SES light goes through solid on - blink off - solid on before you start your engine (ign key from off into run position)? You could have ECM interface connector not fully plugged in, bad FP relay socket, intermittent bat fuse holder (orange wire), etc. Visual and components checks are in the order before tossing ECM...

//RF
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 350 TBI

The SES light doesnt come on at all when the key is in any postion, and forget about the whole unhooking the battery thing, i tried it again today and got nothing. Um, im not to sure what else you were talkin about. I pulled the ecm out today, took out the prom, checked the connectors, and everything seemed to "look" alright. Could this be a cause or just coincidence, yesterday it rained like hell, and having not seen the news yesterday morning i left my windows cracked a bit. Needless to say, everything was soaked. Im thinking maybe the wrong thing got wet, and maybe fried it?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

With the engine starting and running once the oil pressure switched closed, the ECM is at a minimum firing the injectors. The SES light may be burned out. Or the quad driver is bad. That driver also runs the EGR and TCC solenoids. One may be shorted causing the quad driver to fry.

The fan is controlled by the head temperature switch and A/C system, not the ECM.

RBob.