DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

O2 sensor advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 05:21 PM

Location: Close to Boggstown Indiana ( out in the middle of a corn field)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Iroc, saved from scrapyard
Engine: 350 vortec w/stealth ram
Transmission: 85 corvette 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
O2 sensor advice needed

Hello everyone, I have a pretty urgent issue I have to figure out.

I keep getting lean datalogs. I have a 90-92 speed density setup 7730 ecm, I converted my 89 TBI harness to a TPI speed density harness, I also upgraded to a heated 4 wire O2 setup.
After discussion with tuner and 4 datalogs we've concluded may have an issue with info from the O2, I've either wired the updated 4 wire O2 wrong or have the wrong one. I got an "AF75" I think from the junkyard as reccomended by a forum member.
I got online to order a brand new O2 for a 90 camaro and only one wire versions pop up.
My question is....
Is there a 4 wire version of the o2 I need ( need exact part number) or do I need to just go back to a standard 1 wire version?
Please let me know if you are knowledgable in this situation. I'd like to get ordered.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: O2 sensor advice needed

The part number you are looking for is AC Delco AFS-75, that is the 4-wire heated O2.

The stock TPI cars ran a 1-wire as it is located in the exhaust manifold. Not far from the exhaust ports.

As far as running the 1-wire or the 4-wire (heated), depends upon it's location.

RBob.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Car: 84 El Camino
Engine: 360 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 + Truetrac, Moser 28 Spline

Originally Posted by RBob
The part number you are looking for is AC Delco AFS-75, that is the 4-wire heated O2.

The stock TPI cars ran a 1-wire as it is located in the exhaust manifold. Not far from the exhaust ports.

As far as running the 1-wire or the 4-wire (heated), depends upon it's location.

RBob.
RBob --

A lot of 3 .vs. 4 wire debate over time. If I recall correctly, you used to recommend the AFS-74 3-wire because it was tuned to the GM ECM PID fueling algorithm. Just curious what if anything may have changed your mind to use the AFS-75 4-wire. If better, would appreciate your insight as to why.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:38 AM

The advantage of the 4-wire O2 over the 3-wire sensor is in the sensor ground. The 3-wire sensor still gets the ground via the exhaust system. So there is a path from the sensor body to the pipe, pipe to headers or exhaust manifold, then on to the engine block.

While the 4-wire sensor has a ground wire that can be run straight to the ECM.

As for this thread I only answered the OP question as to the part number of the sensor he has to replace.

RBob.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:11 PM

Location: Close to Boggstown Indiana ( out in the middle of a corn field)
Car: 89 Iroc, saved from scrapyard
Engine: 350 vortec w/stealth ram
Transmission: 85 corvette 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Well thanks for the responses but I'm just now seeing them. Must have missed the notifications.
Anyways, I found a kit on ebay to convert a standard one wire O2 to a heated 3 wire O2. Came with harness, adapter, and instructions.
I ripped out all my wiring for the afs-75 O2 4 wire and started from scratch.
I'll be damned if it works great now, good readings that made my tuner happy. turns out I wasn't lean I was rich. I'm sure I had something hooked up wrong on my 4 wire O2.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
The advantage of the 4-wire O2 over the 3-wire sensor is in the sensor ground. The 3-wire sensor still gets the ground via the exhaust system. So there is a path from the sensor body to the pipe, pipe to headers or exhaust manifold, then on to the engine block.

While the 4-wire sensor has a ground wire that can be run straight to the ECM.

As for this thread I only answered the OP question as to the part number of the sensor he has to replace.

RBob.
Do you recommend grounding the 4-wire to the ecm over the engine block? Isn't the ecm grounded to the block making it the same either way? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
Do you recommend grounding the 4-wire to the ecm over the engine block? Isn't the ecm grounded to the block making it the same either way? Thanks.
Six of one and a half-dozen of another. On an EFI harness that already has the ECMs O2 ground connected to the block, I've been known to strip and fold over the sensor ground wire and hose clamp it to the sensor body. I've also been known to just use the 3-wire AFS-74 sensor.

If I were in the middle of modifying the harness, in this case I may change up the wiring and use the 4-wire sensor as it was designed to be.

Note that the ECMs O2 sensor ground is separate from the rest of the EFI harness grounds. It is dedicated to the O2 amplifier in the ECM.

RBob.