DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

need to know if this can be done or has been done??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: currently 350...BUILT 383 soon
Transmission: T56 w/4.10's
need to know if this can be done or has been done??

im not all "import" or fast and furious crazy but i love the thought of having a laptop to allow you to change things on how your car works so i have many question and for now ill list a few, any help will be appreciated.

1. i know a laptop can be hooked up to a 91 Z28 350 TPI with a special cable and using that WINADL program we can record information that the car is reading, but using this same program can i change things? basically what im getting at is can i COMPLETELY tune my car using a laptop and that one program? or are there other programs needed?

2. my 91 Z is a ongoing project and i am a tuning "newbie" i would like to do all the tuning myself. like ive mentioned in many of my posts i have a custom built 383 stroker short block that will handle up to 900HP. to get anywhere near this kind of power i will be running 20-25 PSI of boost from a D1SC procharger system. i am most likely going with a miniram intake but i hear that with that type of boost pressure, certain cylenders will run lean so i am trying to find out if i can control/fix that problem using WINADL and a laptop?

3. if there are any other things i might need to tune my car what would it be and where can i get it?

thanks a lot
Old 03-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
At the top of the board are a whole series of stickies, start with reading those. Then search for Prominator, Romulator, AutoProm, that'll give you a start on what to do, look for, expect.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:35 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: currently 350...BUILT 383 soon
Transmission: T56 w/4.10's
alright i did the searches and i read about programming my own eprom. now i need a little more help with decisions.

i am the kind of person that wants the best for my car.

questions:

1. when burning a chip, is there any way of seeing performance gains and or losses from changing things on the chip? or is this learned by testing it in the vehicle? what i mean by this is like say i change one thing, will there be some sort of table or graph that may show power gains/losses so that i can know exactly the best tuning for my car. also, if this is learned by test driving, is this information all gathered/recorded in the WINADL program and does it actually show me if i lost power or gained?

as you can see i know squat about tuning and not too much about electronics but i feel and hope that i am on the track for a breakthrough as some things seem to be coming together.

thanks for any help given
Old 03-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: American Iron Firebird
Engine: The little 305 that could.
Transmission: Richmond T-10
Axle/Gears: Floater 9" - 3.64 gears
The best place to see power losses/gains is at the track or by using a G-tech.

None of the tuning software will tell you if you gained power because there's no way to tell that with the information that's logged [unless you're Grumpy ].
Old 03-22-2004, 06:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by nape
The best place to see power losses/gains is at the track or by using a G-tech.

None of the tuning software will tell you if you gained power because there's no way to tell that with the information that's logged [unless you're Grumpy ].
If you have a high enough capture rate, and can maintain WOT long enough then you can get some good data. Trouble is it really takes loading the engine down in high gear to do this. There's usually just too much tire slippage to use 1-2 at all and 3rd is marginal. Tire slippage doesn't mean doing patches, you can have several percent slippage and that'll ruin any real testing.

I don't know how many G-Tech runs I've made.
Doc says, he knows, but the info is classified.

And a WB for dialing in the AE stuff is priceless. Getting rid of the lean tip-ins, is alot of ork, and without a WB your only guessing since the transistions happen so fast.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:39 AM

While not as informative as a GTECH, if you use Datamaster instead of WinALDL you can use the 1/4 mile calculator and built in dyno function to plot Hp and TQ curves. These numbers are not nearly as accurate as a real dyno, but if you start with a baseline and compare your runs as you make changes, you can at least see if your changes help or hurt. Keeping your runs as repeatable as possible as in always using the same stretch of road will decrease the margin for error. A GTECH is better, but they're not cheap.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:26 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dyno run with WB 02 will tell you if you are too rich/too lean.
i ran 12.1/1 last time and if i had romulator or had another chip with 12.5/1 commanded A/F in PE i could have run #2 run with it and compare. same with spark data.