DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

need some some help.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some some help.........

alright.......
I've save the my old bin which is off an old hypertech chip. And I'm curious how to get the information to tuner cats so I can see what they did different from stock.
when I try to load the info. to tuner cats as a bin it's not showing up as a bin.
How do you go about doing this........
it's got me stumpt.
Old 04-08-2001, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z-BOSS:
alright.......
I've save the my old bin which is off an old hypertech chip. And I'm curious how to get the information to tuner cats so I can see what they did different from stock.
when I try to load the info. to tuner cats as a bin it's not showing up as a bin.
How do you go about doing this........
it's got me stumpt.
</font>
Find a compare utility, going thru table by table will take along time.

PS. usually not worth the effort anyway, for most aftermarket chips

Old 04-08-2001, 02:14 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
The reason your Hypertech eprom may not be readable by TunerCat is because Hypertech may have changed the PROM ID to something other than its "stock" setting.

This is what certain "custom prom writers" do to make it difficult for you to use an editor like Tunercat to read their prom. This is generally because they don't want you to know what they have done or don't want you to make changes.

Regarding Hypertech, I can tell you that you will be sadly disappointed when you DO SEE what little they have actually done.

Grump's suggestion of using "Binary File Compare" is an excellent suggestion because sometimes prom writers also alter the actual instruction set which you can only see with a "file compare".
Old 04-09-2001, 09:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird
Engine: Pontiac 301
Transmission: TH350
Can you recommend a binary file compare tool, and a binary file editor ? Unix or PC is fine.

Thanks!