DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

New Build, EBL and VAFPR

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 AM
TMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 350 TBI
New Build, EBL and VAFPR

My intent is to build an LO5 which will provide tons of torque to move my 6500 lb beast with about 325 HP. I also want to build something that will not be a nightmare to tune.

My primary concern is that with this HP level I will have to use a VAFPR and that this may introduce tuning complications. I am using the EBL and I know it can accomondate this. I did a search and found information on how to input values into the EBL, but I did not find information that would give me comfort I am not biting off more than I can chew.

I don't believe I will be able to salvage my current block. It was rebuilt 20K miles ago, but was never tuned. Mild cam, bored out TBI and ported 193 heads. When I hooked up the EBL and WB I found it needed 76# and it was run at 68# for 20K. When bigger injectors were put in the intake filled up and it hydrolocked. It was not a pretty sound. Now I have a vibration (bent rod?) and a leak at the rear seal (bent crankshaft or cracked block?).

I finally found a builder that I am comfortable with and he is suggesting the following:
-Seasoned 350 core
-Comp cams K-12-249-4, hydraulic lifters, 249/250 duration, .434/.444 lift
-Dart Iron Eagles 65cc chamber, 165cc runners
-Edelbrock 3704 performer TBI intake
-9.6 compression ratio
-Thorley Tri-Y headers

I know many folks go with the Vortec heads, but I have read that these can be difficult to tune because of the absence of the heat crossover. I do want not mess with porting the 193 heads. ANd I am trying to avoid the expense of roller rockers. I simply want something with more power that will not run out of steam at 4000 RPM and will be fun to drive. I don't need it to achieve high HP at high revs because it is a heavy vehicle.

I do not expect comments on what is the perfect build. I have searched the boards and there is as many builds as there is posters. If you do see something that does not make sense, however, I would appreciate some advice.

Again, my primary concern is building something that will be difficult to tune using a VAFPR. Here again, I don't expect a complete write-up on what is involved. I simply want some advice as to whether I will be buiding something that will be diffcult to tune.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Trans am
Engine: built 360 TBI
Transmission: built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10bolt/3.23
Re: New Build, EBL and VAFPR

Setting up the EBL for VAFPR is easy and works wery well, finding the good SA table will take some tryes, but nothing to worry about with EBL.

For the engine and cam, may be best to read/post in the tbi or thech general engine forum.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM
TMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 350 TBI
Re: New Build, EBL and VAFPR

Thanks for your response. You, among others, are more hadcore than me when it comes to tuning and doing exotic things. This confirms I am on the right track.