DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Considering EBL instead of MAF.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Considering EBL instead of MAF.

I am in the middle of an frustration of my 88 MAF system. I have a 1987 Camaro with a Lg4 TPI converted engine.
Several mods has been done to the engine such as:
- High lift Cam (COMP cam 08-412-8)
- Hooker 2055HKR headers
- L98 Vette heads (10088113)
- Catco 9118 cat-converter and a Magnaflow 3" catback system
- MSD coil,distributor cover,spark plug wires etc.

There are also some other mods to the driveline such as:
- Rebuilt 700r4 with shift kit installed
- Auburn Eaton Posi unit with 3.42 gears

I have tried to tune my TPI system since the day I converted the Lg4 engine to TPI. And I must say I am not satisfied. Even when engine was stock (before the mods were bought only converted to TPI) the engine didn't run optimal.

I used a stock 88 ECM with the PROM inside of it.

After some research I found out that I wanted to get into tuning. So I contacted Moates and bought several stuff from them. I have bought:
Ostrich 2
Burn 2
ALDL cable and the GP1 kit for my ECM.

I started with some datalogging and a lot of reading on this forum to understand everything and have learned a lot over the years but still I feel not good enough to do a proper tuning.
I invested in a Lc1 kit so I could watch a WB gauge to check what is really going on inside the engine. I have tried several ways to tune the MAF system by the MAF tables..Played a little with the timing tables and so on.
But still I find this way, all to difficult. I am driving around, watching the road, the computer, the dash and the WB gauge at the A-pillar. This is really difficult if you ask me.

Dyno tuning around here in Norway is not a good option either because there are not many around and those few that are around charge a LOT of money. And I am also the guy that want's to learn it by doing itself.

So after a lot of reading around the forums here I have read very much positive information about the EBL system. After what I have understand that system could be used with my TPI setup as well and are nicer to deal with if I am not just having wish-thoughts now.

So what do you guys think?..Should I invest in a EBL system?..I mean, I just think that it would be easier to have control when you have vacuum controlled system like the speed density. It also looks like the timing is easier to have control over when it comes to the EBL.

It's really funny how complicated a system can be. The main subjects for an engine is so simple: Fuel/AIR + Spark + Compression = RPM (HP)
A carburettor really managed to do this back in the old days but now you have like houndreds of constants,tables and flags you can adjust with many many (if you ask me) unnecessary things to adjust. Of course some things is nice to adjust, but I just think tuning a MAF system with TunerPRO and such are kind of hard...

Sorry for this big history (long thread) guys but I just felt I needed to explain things a little :-)
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Considering EBL instead of MAF.

You could convert your system to MAP and still use equiptment you have. Same learning curve and all you've learned will cross over. Still won't fix a mechanical issue if that is why you are not satisfied with your tune.

If you only tune one car then you could sell the stuff you had and recoup some cost of EBL, then again if one car should have got an EBL first...

EBL still has learning curve that all your experiance will cross over to. Still won't fix a mechanical issue like spark cross fire, vacuum leak, fuel pressure or supply, faulty part...

That said the EBL is a far superior ECM and software, simplar then tuning a stock ECM, with options way beyond stock ECM, dialed into what a tuner needs and not what GM did for stock engines and revolving around emmissions and laws. If I had a vehicle that needed one I would own one. You won't find anyone to talk you out of it. It will be a great addition to the car you have!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 AM

Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by EagleMark
You could convert your system to MAP and still use equiptment you have. Same learning curve and all you've learned will cross over. Still won't fix a mechanical issue if that is why you are not satisfied with your tune.

If you only tune one car then you could sell the stuff you had and recoup some cost of EBL, then again if one car should have got an EBL first...

EBL still has learning curve that all your experiance will cross over to. Still won't fix a mechanical issue like spark cross fire, vacuum leak, fuel pressure or supply, faulty part...

That said the EBL is a far superior ECM and software, simplar then tuning a stock ECM, with options way beyond stock ECM, dialed into what a tuner needs and not what GM did for stock engines and revolving around emmissions and laws. If I had a vehicle that needed one I would own one. You won't find anyone to talk you out of it. It will be a great addition to the car you have!

Hey EagleMark.

I have been thinking of converting to the MAP system because it just seems a lot easier to deal with. Another thing is that you can get rid of the "expensive" maf sensor which is a good thing if you ask me.
I have also read some articles that switching from a 86-89 MAF system (165ECM) to 90-92 MAP system isn't such a big job. Just some repinning and some easy wiring in the engine bay and adding a MAP sensor.

I am still not sure about the BIN files and the ECM though. If I should get a new ECM with new connectors and repin everything or if I can still use my ECM and just repin with what I have.

But again I might consider the EBL because the system I am going for is going to be in the car for the future as well :-)

There shouldn't be any mechanical issues to the engine because I rebuilt the engine 2years ago as well. All the sensors are new and I have checked for vacuum leaks without any hits there....:-)
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

There shouldn't be any mechanical issues to the engine because I rebuilt the engine 2years ago as well. All the sensors are new and I have checked for vacuum leaks without any hits there....:-)
Never get to confident on this! Seen many an intake leak where vacuum leak can not be found, espeically on built motors with machine work to heads and block without correcting intake. Also new part does not meen good part, I have seen AC Delco parts brand new faulty and if you used some off brand it's measure can be differant of stock, but work. Not doubting you, just want to calm confidence. Seen many a guy try to tune a mechanical issue with failure.

I was just being polite, open minded and exploring options. If your going to change ECM buy the EBL. The benifits compared to cost are huge on a built motor.